Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Staying home from work

(5 Posts)
tak1ngchances Tue 02-Apr-13 13:17:09

I was signed off work for 3 months last year with "stress-related illness" - work thought I was exhausted but actually I have anxiety and agoraphobia. Occupational Health know the details of my illness but not my line manager.

I did CBT intensively while I was off and made good progress and was declared fit for work. I went back full of hope & positivity but sure enough within a few weeks I was struggling to leave the house again and having quite severe panic attacks.

As of last Friday I am on medication for the first time, 50mg of Sertraline daily. I feel ok about starting on tablets, as I feel I have explored all other avenues and not really managed to overcome my anxiety.
However, the Sertraline has given me a couple of side effects (nausea, shivering, locked jaw) and I really can't cope with going to work today. We have the kind of culture where it's "ok but not encouraged" to work from home on a regular basis. So I'm on the sofa dialling in to meetings today and feeling like SH*T. I am so guilty, thinking I'm letting everyone down blah blah.

I don't know what to do. Should I try and get in to the office to this afternoon's meetings, or just stay put? Tomorrow I have an all-day meeting that I have got to attend. Oh the indecision is paralysing. Help! smile

stripeyjimjams Tue 02-Apr-13 13:44:37

Stay put. Remember if you were experiencing nausea, shivering, locked jaw or any of the other side effects for any other reason, you probably wouldn't think twice about staying off. And at least you're working from home! When I first started ADs, I was on the couch for 2 days with Take a Break magazine! Good on you for working so hard to recover, I hope you're doing alright.

LazyMonkeyButler Tue 02-Apr-13 13:52:07

Definitely stay home today I would think. You are not letting anyone down as you are still able to work, albeit online.

I would say though that not every antidepressant suits every person, if you are still experiencing side effects with Sertraline after a few days you might be better off asking your GP for an alternative (said by someone who tried virtually everything available before ending up with Citalopram) grin.

Well done for being so proactive & tackling your problems head on - I know it's not easy.

tak1ngchances Tue 02-Apr-13 13:57:57

Thanks so much for your advice stripey" and *lazy (you sound like 2 of the 7 dwarves by the way grin ). I am dialling in to a meeting now with my boss and her boss and just feel AWFUL that I am not there having been off so much lately. But I will try and feel good that I am contributing at all.

My psychiatrist said Sertraline is going to be best for my symptoms and to STICK WITH it for the first couple of weeks and then I will see the benefits. So that's what I'm going to do...wish me luck xx

tabbycat15 Wed 03-Apr-13 14:24:57

My psychiatrist always starts me on 1/2 a tablet for the first 2 weeks. You can break them in 1/2. This will lessen any side effects as your body gets used to it. I am on sertraline & it's been the best one for the least side effects for me. Try taking 1/2 for the next 2 weeks then the full tablet.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now