Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

panic/anxiety attack & now voices in my head!!!

(49 Posts)
PainForLife Fri 11-Jan-13 22:32:13

had another one of these attacks tonight.( happened twice before)... I take AD's (sertraline) twice a day but even my evening dose is not helping. during the attack I was rocking my body back & forth crying and muttering "bad mother, bad wife, bad daughter" over & over again!!!

now I've got 2 voices in my head 1being kind to me the other repeating the above to me. it's like there are 2 people in my head fighting for me.

I feel really scarred & think I'm going NUTS!!!

BrokenBananaTantrum Fri 11-Jan-13 22:37:32

You are not going nuts. Can you try doing something to externalise. My counsellor taught me this

Name 3 things you can see
Name 3 things you can hear
Name 3 things you can feel

Now do it for 2 things then for 1. You need to speak out loud.

Others will be along soon. X

BrokenBananaTantrum Fri 11-Jan-13 22:56:14

Are you still there PFL?

PainForLife Fri 11-Jan-13 23:10:38

yes was trying ur suggestion, sorry it was a slight distraction.... heart still racing but I do feel a bit calmer so thankyou.

PainForLife Fri 11-Jan-13 23:12:53

voices still in my head!!!

BrokenBananaTantrum Fri 11-Jan-13 23:17:56

Has this happened before?

PainForLife Fri 11-Jan-13 23:21:28

twice in the last month but wasn't hearing any voices today is the first time!

BrokenBananaTantrum Fri 11-Jan-13 23:23:51

Ok. Is there a crisis team in your area that you can get in touch with right now? I think if you could talk to someone in RL it would help. Are you feeling scared?

strumpetpumpkin Fri 11-Jan-13 23:27:52

are the voices your voice?

PainForLife Fri 11-Jan-13 23:29:17

no I feel ok now my brother has just got home thankfully so I'm not alone anymore!!! I cnt stop the voices though but there calming down. maybe it's because my brother is home.

SparkleSoiree Fri 11-Jan-13 23:31:25

How long have you been on your medication? Could it be a side effect of that?

oopsadaisymaisy Fri 11-Jan-13 23:32:48

How are you doing pain?

BrokenBananaTantrum Fri 11-Jan-13 23:35:24

I am glad your brother is with you and that you are not feeling afraid. These are 2 positive things. Would it help to try and focus on these and maybe try to do tje externalising exercise together. Will he do it with you?

PainForLife Fri 11-Jan-13 23:37:10

sparkle I've been taking my meds for just over 2 years now so it can't be that. I've been feeling really crap this last month, more than usual & far more depressed than before. maybe I need my dosage changed or maybe sertraline doesn't work on me anymore. I really don't know.

PainForLife Fri 11-Jan-13 23:40:27

the voices thing is just a bit scary as never had it like this before & it feels like it's not going to stop!

PainForLife Fri 11-Jan-13 23:42:37

broken he is doing them with me as we speak.

BrokenBananaTantrum Fri 11-Jan-13 23:46:00

Thats great that you have someone who can help. I hope you can get through tonight ok and get some sleep. Can you get to your GP soon?

PainForLife Fri 11-Jan-13 23:50:28

can't get to G.P till Monday now. don't think sleep will be happening too scarred to close my eyes.

BrokenBananaTantrum Fri 11-Jan-13 23:52:40

Have you got some techniques for relaxing? Or loads of old films you can watch?

PainForLife Fri 11-Jan-13 23:58:03

no such technique for relaxing but lots of films to keep me going all night & thankfully my brother doesn't have work tomorrow so he's going to keep me company.

thankyou so much for responding.

BrokenBananaTantrum Sat 12-Jan-13 00:02:01

Well thats good. I hope you do get some sleep eventually. Try and stay positive if you can. See your GP on monday to talk through whats happened. X

BrokenBananaTantrum Sat 12-Jan-13 13:23:42

How are you today?

PainForLife Sat 12-Jan-13 17:45:45

brokenbananatantrum thanks for checking up on me.

got some sleep last night had another attack this morning but took my morning pill straight away so avoided a major meltdown. voices haven't stopped and are not stopping. have been ignoring them and keeping myself busy with tv. just took my evening dose a bit early. hoping to just get through the weekend till I see G.P on Monday.

NanaNina Sat 12-Jan-13 18:04:53

Hi PFL so sorry you are feeling so bad. Mental health problems are a real torment and can only be understood by those who have experienced them. Hearing voices is a bit worrying and I think it's really important you get to the GP and make sure you tell him/her about these voices. You may be referred to a psychiatrist for diagnosis and treatment. Sometimes when depression gets so bad, you can have a psychotic episode and that needs treating with more than an AD. Sorry I don't like "diagnosing" on internet as I am no medic but know people who have had this condition.

Do you live alone, although you mention your brother, so do you live together. Have you any children - do you work. Sorry to bombard you with questions, just wondering how much support you have around you. Have you got a good GP and will you get an appt on Monday - it's terrible in our surgery for getting appts. Suggest you book a double appointment so that you are not rushed.

Keep in touch over the weekend. There is a great deal of support on here.

BrokenBananaTantrum Sat 12-Jan-13 18:32:33

Just wanted you to know people are thinking about you and that you are ok. Keep posting if you need to. As NannaNina says there is a lot of support on here. X

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now