Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

How do you choose a CBT Therapist?

(3 Posts)
knackeredknees Tue 18-Dec-12 22:58:45

DS (18) has suffered from depression, on and off, for about 3 years. He went to the GP 2 years ago and was refused meds but referred to counselling for a few weeks which helped temporarily.

He went back today and the GP suggested that she would now give him a prescription but also suggested CBT. He said he'd try to avoid the drugs, but later tonight has changed his mind so will try to see her again before they finish for Xmas.

I'd like to get the ball rolling and book him some CBT sessions privately but have no idea where to start. There are dozens within a 10 mile radius of us.

Any clues please?

awaywego1 Thu 20-Dec-12 06:55:48

babcp accredited, experience working with young people, speciality, maybe ring for a chat and see how you feel. Many offer a free assessment session.

KenDoddsDadsDog Thu 20-Dec-12 08:22:57

I saw a psychiatrist consultant at my local bupa hospital - they found him based on my issue (PND) . Maybe give them a call?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now