Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Can I claim dla for scizoaffective/type 1 bipolar

(18 Posts)
Crawling Fri 14-Dec-12 12:00:28

I was filling in forms for dd and realised over the past year I have required additional help with many aspects on the form (pychotic depression for over a year now even with meds) So can I claim? if so why hasnt my cpn told me?

CajaDeLaMemoria Fri 14-Dec-12 12:03:26

You can claim for any type of disability that gives you mobility or care needs.

Statistically, it's much harder to get DLA for mental illnesses rather than physical ones, and it's a tough process anyway. A large number of people are rejected initially and have to go through appeal, so it can be stressful.

There's no harm in filling in a form, getting medical evidence and sending it off. The worst that can happen is they reject it, and then you decide whether to go to an appeal or leave it.

You do need to have had the care/mobility needs for 6 months, and for them to be expected to continue for at least another 6 months.

Crawling Fri 14-Dec-12 18:49:39

Thank you your post was very helpful.

Latara Sat 15-Dec-12 14:35:09

Yes you should be able to get DLA, remember to write a lot of detail on the form & let your health professionals eg. your GP, CMHT know that you are applying so they will back you.

Hoophopes Sat 15-Dec-12 22:11:30

If you have anyone involved in your care that you can get to fill in part of the form or any paperwork to support your clai, that will help (such as your health visitor, cpn, psychiatrist, gp, social care team etc).

blackholesun Sun 16-Dec-12 01:11:48

I have MH needs (depression, BPD, bulimia) and I get DLA (HRC & LRM). It is well worth putting in a claim, especially if you have a CPN to back you up.

No one ever told me I could claim either - I'd been diagnosed years before I found out.angry

I'd get advice from a suitable organisation to help you with your claim, maybe MIND could help? It's hard to claim, I wrote reams and reams of additional notes and also requested medical and SS notes, I copied bits that backed up my claim. There are advice booklets online with specific information on how to write up your claim form too, because it's quite crucial on which level gets awarded (e.g. you need to have night-time care needs to get HRC, this can include someone watching over you to prevent self-harm).

If you have a child getting DLA, you can still get DLA for yourself, and also Carers Allowance.

SantaFlashesHisBoobsALot Sun 16-Dec-12 05:54:07

Yes you can, and do ask your CPN or similar to help you fill in the form if you want. It can be quite tough writing out the extent of your condition. Best of luck with both claims.

<waves to blackholesun as another BPD person>

Crawling Sun 16-Dec-12 10:13:21

Thanks all I'm just concerned if they see the two claim forms they will assume I'm a benefit stronger who's lying and I won't get anything at all maybe I'm being paranoid there.

SantaFlashesHisBoobsALot Sun 16-Dec-12 12:04:49

Think you're being paranoid, though with all the negative press surrounding benefits its very easy to do.

FWIW I claimed initially based purely on my physical health condition, it was only when I was told that I should also mention my BPD that I included that. Then last year when it was up for review, they only awarded me based on my mental health, despite having to use a chair / stick to leave the house!! So it was really tough for me, but its worthwhile doing.

NanaNina Sun 16-Dec-12 12:23:04

Could crawling claim Attendance Allowance as she says she needs additional help to manager her mental health issues. Just a thought.

lazymum99 Sun 16-Dec-12 18:56:11

Attendance allowance is for new claimants who are over 65. It is different to DLA as I think you can't get low rate mobility. Anyway that's not the one you meant unless crawling is a lot older than I thought. The additional help you mention would come under the care needs ofDLA. However you can be awarded the mobility for mental health if you need to be accompanied when you go out. Your local CAB will help.

Crawling Sun 16-Dec-12 19:27:55

Thanks all I'm not over 65 I'm actually quite young I think I will claim as I have been struggling and I could use the money to pay for help.

lazymum99 Sun 16-Dec-12 19:49:59

You've got nothing to lose by trying to claim. You may be turned down and need to appeal which is very common now. If you do appeal make sure you go to the tribunal hearing you stand a much better chance and make sure you look as ill as possible on that day!!

Crawling Sun 16-Dec-12 19:52:54

its terrible because the iller I am the less able I would be to go to appeals and court hearings.

larahusky Sun 16-Dec-12 22:55:17

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

SantaFlashesHisBoobsALot Sun 16-Dec-12 23:04:19

I claim because my condition is very volatile, I need help to stay safe at times, I can't always leave the house, or if I do, can't do it alone... It affects my every single thought. I can't always do the washing up because of the temptation to either burn or cut myself. I could go on, but it will just depress me!

The DLA form doesn't tell you what you want the money for, it asks you about the circumstances your condition affects you in.

Crawling Mon 17-Dec-12 07:51:46

I need encouragement to bath eat and dress. I need someone to sit with me till I fall asleep as that's when psychosis and negative thoughts are the worse I need dp to wake me through the night to feed my baby because I take heavy sedatives and I get to anxious and paranoid to go out sometimes. My mum also helps me to clean. This is on a mild episode for me I can need 24 hour care when I'm really ill.

Hoophopes Mon 17-Dec-12 20:35:29

All that information Crawling will help in your claim. Also if you need family help to care for you and children, they can write on the form to say what they need to do for you. If social care involved, if mental health team involved, if been in hospital in last 12months etc - you can ask for your paperwork to include in what you send as evidence.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: