Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Is it possible to get counselling on the NHS these days?

(13 Posts)
Meglet Fri 30-Nov-12 22:24:09

That link to the NHS site is useful. Even the NHS page says you need to push for it a bit.

Had a look at their 'tips for coping with stress' page, apparently I need some 'me time'. How does that work with small children then <<rolls eyes>>.

Meglet Fri 30-Nov-12 22:18:02

(very late catch up)

Thanks everyone.

I'm going to make an apt with my GP before Xmas on one of my days off without the kids and get it sorted.

PackItInNow Thu 22-Nov-12 16:39:53

Good luck OP, and I hope you get a fab counsellor who will help you immensely and you are happy or more settled again smile.

Don't forget to keep us posted on how it's going and how you are.

Smiffle Thu 22-Nov-12 09:17:32

PS 'hopeless' - shall I get a thesaurus out??

Smiffle Thu 22-Nov-12 09:16:55

Absolutely best of luck, counselling saved me. I went private with an inheritance in the end, I was very lucky. My local practice were hopeless; I went back after 6 weeks on Ads and a gp said, oh yes, sorry we haven't sent the letter yet, they were just hopeless.

Having said that, I have a friend whose gp sorted it almost immediately so perhaps luck of the draw. Second the pushing thing, I was far too passive and didn't want to make a fuss.

Well done though it's a big step to take and I hope it helps. Could the IBS consultant help in any way with a referral if GP hopeless? Just a thought.

PackItInNow Wed 21-Nov-12 20:02:15

As far as I know, you can get counselling on the NHS, but I think you only get 6 sessions and then you have to be referred by your GP (or another GP at your surgery). I am willing to be corrected on that one though as that is what I was told about counselling sessions here in N.I.

Meglet Tue 20-Nov-12 21:53:20

ooo, you are all lovely. Thank you!

I will investigate IAPT then go and see my GP.

AngryFeet Tue 20-Nov-12 21:48:40

Yes you can. I was offered online therapy through IAPT as face to face was a 6 month wait. Basically you talk to someone on a webcam so don't even have to leave your house. You also get a choice of therapists. It works through a website called Bigwhitewall.

carve133 Tue 20-Nov-12 21:45:12

X posted - but we all seem to agree!

carve133 Tue 20-Nov-12 21:44:20

Sorry to hear all this Meglet.

The services to ask your GP about would be your local Improving Access to Psychological Therapies (IAPT) initiative (you can google this). These are basically primary care mental health services - short term therapy offered, usually CBT for anxiety and depression, but should pick up on any trauma issues that needed addressing and hopefully refer on if needed. I know our local service would do this, but can't speak for how services are shaping up in the rest of the country.

In view of the IBS link, you may also want to ask about being referred to a clinical health psychologist. These are usually based in hospitals, and do outpatient work for a range of issues (underlying trauma will be a common issue). You might also skip your GP and ask your consultant whether there is such a service in the hospital you would meet criteria for, and if he could refer.

Over the internet and without knowing your local service its really hard to gauge whether there would be something appropriate available for you (cuts biting everywhere) but do keep persisting with your GP. Sometimes its helpful to know the jargon.

Best of luck.

KatyPeril Tue 20-Nov-12 21:41:38

You can. but you really need to keep pushing sadly. sad

fluffydressinggown Tue 20-Nov-12 21:38:26

Yes you can have counselling on the NHS! There might be a long waiting list.

IAPT - info here was set up for this exact reason, to give people talk therapy who are not acutely mentally unwell.

Meglet Tue 20-Nov-12 21:25:28

I know I could do with a course of counselling as I have a splendid set of internalised issues surrounding my abusive XP and my dads death (I haven't cried 2yrs on). At some point I need to talk to someone about it and clear the air a bit.

But when I asked my GP last year he said I couldn't have counselling. So I've just carried on bottling everything up.

Last week I saw a consultant for my IBS which is causing me lots of problem and weight loss and he said (without even knowing how much I've been through) that I would benefit from counselling due to the mind / bowel link and all the stress causing me health problems.

So, do I just need to go back to my GP and refuse to move until he agrees? I don't mind waiting as I can't fit it in until next September anyway when I have a couple of days free a week. But I'm not suicidal so I don't know how to get him to agree confused.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now