Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

I think I need help with anxiety

(10 Posts)
CosmicCelia Mon 12-Nov-12 12:50:05

I've name changed for this, just in case anyone has recognised me in RL. Also, apologies if this isn't the right place to post this - I know there are people here who need more MH help than me.

I think I need some help with my anxiety, but I don't know where to start. I've always been a worrier but these days I feel like I have a permanent ball of knots and worry in my stomach. Sometimes it's little things - like what if we get a sickness bug, sometimes it's stuff to do with my work, which I don't like much at the moment. Sometimes it's Christmas and sometimes it's just the sheer volume of things to do.

I guess some of things are worth worrying about and some aren't - but sometimes I think none of them are worth the constant worrying about them all. I don't know - maybe it's all just part of being a 'busy mum' (maybe I should just be on a supermarket ad!!) but I feel like it's all taking over a bit. DH does talk to me about stuff and is very helpful with practical things, but I think he gets a bit frustrated when I worry about the same things all the time.

Is there a book anyone could recommend, maybe? Something just to help me be more rational?

CosmicCelia Mon 12-Nov-12 18:08:45

Just bumping in case anyone at all has any advice or tips. Please.

44SoStartingOver Mon 12-Nov-12 18:11:25

Fantastic book
Dr Steve Peters
Mind Management

the author is v qualified (not crystals will cure you nonsense) but useful techniques and very easily accessible explanations. V untechnical, but I read it and said aha iykwim

CosmicCelia Mon 12-Nov-12 18:23:27

Fantastic, thank you. That's just the sort of thing I was after. Is it called 'The Chimp Paradox: The Mind Management Programme'?

Thank you for replying. It's been a bad day, so this is a little ray of hope!

CosmicCelia Mon 12-Nov-12 18:26:01

Have just read a few reviews on Amazon - is it aimed at sports people?

Thanks.

44SoStartingOver Mon 12-Nov-12 18:26:50

Thats the one - I have been reading it almost open mouthed recognising it and putting parts of it into practice on the spot.

last night I woke up at 3am worrying about a letter from the tax office. I recognised my chimp brain was fretting but not helping. Switched off then tackled it this morning. All sorted. Makes me feel more in control.

All sorts of very usable techniques. I love it

44SoStartingOver Mon 12-Nov-12 18:27:48

He works with a lot of sports people (Team GB) but certainly not fixated on sport. Links with physical activity and exercise but not a particular focus imo

CosmicCelia Mon 12-Nov-12 19:19:23

Great, thank you. This sounds very promising.

ClareMarriott Mon 12-Nov-12 21:45:46

Before you had been given the brilliant advice by 44so, I was thinking about the things you have mentioned you might worry about. ( 1 ) If you get a sickness bug, ok you throw up, you get better ( 2 ) Work is only work, it does'nt define you as the whole person you are ( 3 ) Christmas comes round every year - you can't escape it and ( 4 ) and the volume of things to do - join the rest of humanity.!!
Remember you are not alone in thinking as you do but sometimes it's just a case of doing a small thing well ( and with good intentions ) that gives you a great sense of accomplishment . I hope everything goes well for you

CosmicCelia Mon 12-Nov-12 22:45:32

Thank you. I know that I need a bit of perspective, really. Everyone has to deal with these things - many people, a lot worse. You're completely right!! I just need to find that small thing to do well!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now