Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Some support and possible help

(6 Posts)
hagridsbeard Sun 11-Nov-12 11:31:11

Hi all, I have namechanged for this because DP knows my username and I don't want him to see this.

Around last January DP confessed that he had been feeling progressively worse mentally and he couldn't take it any more. He said it have been going of for around 10 years, but it had got to a point where he couldn't cope. The symptoms were racing thoughts, negative thoughts, fuzzy/fizzy head, headaches, paranoia and feelings that something bad was going to happen. He also worried excessively about sleepwalking and hurting our DD. We went to GP and got some medication which eventually seemed to move the feelings into the background slightly, but never got rid of them.

We have been waiting for a referral appointment with IAPT and have finally got a telephone appointment in about 4 weeks time, however the last week it has all flared up again and he feels like he can't cope any more. He needs to see someone asap and we are lost as to where to go. He hasn't talked about killing himself, but has said he would be better off dead because he wouldn't feel like this anymore. The GP just says to wait for the telephone appointment, but I don't see how this will help at the moment.

I am so upset and don't know how to support him. I am due to give birth in 3 weeks and I can't talk to anyone about this because he doesn't want anyone to know. I am so alone in this because I can't even get upset in front of him, it would just stress and upset him more.

Where can we get help? Does anyone have any experience of the symptoms and what may work to get rid of them? He has been on Citalopram and Propranolol, but they don't seem to be working anymore and didn't really get rid of the symptoms in the first place.

Thanks for any replies, it helps to be able to actually say this to someone.

amillionyears Sun 11-Nov-12 20:26:02

I dont have any experience but will bump it for you.
4 weeks is a long time to have to wait, especially since you are due to give birth soon.

ItLooksLikeRainDear Sun 11-Nov-12 20:32:30

First of all I'm sending u a big hug. You are going through such a tough time with your DP as well as all of the worries that go with giving birth & looking after a newborn, which no doubt you are keeping to yourself & not sharing with DP.

It really sounds as though both you and your DP need support. Have you thought of contacting mind?

www.mind.org.uk/help/advice_lines

DiamondDoris Sun 11-Nov-12 20:40:14

Crisis could help - support for mental illness. Does he see a psychiatrist? Do you mind saying if he suffers from clinical depression or bipolar disorder? CBT might help with anxiety. If it's bipolar disorder (racing thoughts are a symptom) then anti-depressants won't work. I'm sorry you are both suffering.

liveinazoo Mon 12-Nov-12 05:30:24

im surprised the gp hasnt bumped things along-has dh been honest howbad things are feeling at the moment?

most places have a crisis team which im assumin ghe could be referred to in the interim

as for you,im sending big hugs.being so close to giving birth is a stressfull enough time and you need to vent this out.if there is no on ein RL you are comfortable confiding in please dont suffer in silence.there is always someone here who will listen <even if we cant make everything alright>

fluffydressinggown Mon 12-Nov-12 18:40:50

It can be hard to get help while you are waiting for an assessment.

I would go back to the GP again and ask for more immediate support or see if the IAPT input can happen any sooner. It may be worth contacting the single point of access team for mental health services in your area (google for the number) to ask for their advice and help.

Do you think he is a serious risk to himself? At that point crisis will intervene, but it may be hard to get their support if he is not.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now