Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

eating disorders and toddlers

(4 Posts)
addictedisback Fri 09-Nov-12 11:06:13

this covers so many topics I didnt really know where to put it, but I guess as its about my mental health i thought I'd start here!

When I was younger I had an eating disorder, I fully believed I had 'beaten it' and was 'normal' around food.

But for the past few months I have been seeing a theripist and during our last session we were talking about food, she made it very clear thet I am still struggling with the same eating disorder, and its affecting my children too sad

This may sound stupid but I really had no idea, but since that session I can clearly see she is right. I'm so angry and upset with myself, how can I affect my girls so much and not even realise sad but my priorty now is putting that right working with her to deal with the core problem.

My question is how much do your toddlers eat in a normal day? how often and how much? Please treat me like I'm stupid and spell out how much I'm ment to be feeding my babies.

monkeysonmyback Fri 09-Nov-12 15:33:13

I'm not sure that telling you how much my toddler eats will help you, as it varies so much from day-to-day. I would guess that maybe checking that they are on target with their weight would be a more useful way of knowing that they are eating enough. I generally give my toddler breakfast, lunch and tea every day and several snacks though.

What did the therapist say exactly? In what way is she concerned that it is impacting on your children?

Do you feel your eating disorder is still an issue? And if so, how is it still affecting you? and you children?

MrsMuddyPuddles Sun 11-Nov-12 23:07:13

Have you looked into Baby Led Weaning? The main thing I took away is that I offer food to my child, and she chooses how much she actually wants to eat. (healthy options only, obviously e.g. choice between yoghurt flavours, not yoghurt vs. ice cream. Choice between apple, orange, or raisins; not fruit or chocolate. Crisps and sweeties used to be an away from home treat only so once-twice a week but that's been slacked off recently. )

Rule of thumb is 3 meals a day plus 2-3 snacks. I like my portion size be dicated by children's sized plates, but the BLW (among others) serving size is how much can be held in an open, cupped hand (of the person eating); meal (and snack, since you don't know whether the child is ready for a meal or a snack!) size is 2 hands cupped into a bowl. But, really, I offer mine as much as she'll eat, and assume that she will eat as much as she needs.

Good luck, I hope you can beat it for realz and break the cycle with your babies! You have as good as said that you are doing your best; please don't beat yourself up over it.

Hoophopes Mon 12-Nov-12 19:36:47

Hi - it sounds like asking your health visitor to see you to chat about food, nutritional balance in a diet and weight gain might help reassure you and give you pointers specific to your own children.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now