Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Citalopram to Sertraline

(8 Posts)
AntoinetteCosway Fri 02-Nov-12 10:46:45

I was on Citalopram (PND) but after a few months the itching was so bad I was scratching until I bled. GP switched me to Sertraline and said it was the same dosage so should be fine. I'm feeling pretty crap though. I've been on the S for a month. Has anyone got any experience of switching from C to S?

Henners1 Fri 02-Nov-12 20:25:53

Hiya, I was on citralopram on and off for 7 years. I had a massive panic attack 4weeks ago and they switched me onto sertraline. I felt terrible though and wasn't sure if it was the new medication so after 3 weeks they have switched me onto something else. Not all medication suits everyone and had read some reports about sertraline making people feel worse. Might be worth talking to your gp again x

weegiemum Fri 02-Nov-12 20:27:35

I was on sertraline for 8 years. Took a while to kick in, you need to be on at least on 100mg I found to make a difference. But in the end it was so worth it.

AntoinetteCosway Wed 07-Nov-12 22:55:58

Thanks for your replies and sorry for the delay in replying myself. I've decided to give it until the end of this pack (3 more weeks) to see if I feel any better and if not I'll go back to the GP. I'm on 50mg and I'm thinking maybe I need a higher dose.

mumat39 Thu 08-Nov-12 00:06:47

Hello.
I'm on citalopram 20mg and the gp is moving me to sertraline 50g but I'm scared of the move.

I can't sleep or function really on citalopram which is the reason for the move. But, I had odd symptoms when I first started on citalopram that I'm worried I'll have to go through that again.

I just wondered what you mean by feeling 'terrible'?

I also find that on Citalopram, I feel just numb, so in that sense it has helped with my anxiety but I feel like a zombie and that seems to have made me feel more depressed. I have been on these for about 18 months, and just have no energy or oomph and the not sleeping is taking it's toll as I just feel I'll all the time. I'm waiting for a CBT referral And was hoping that I might be ale to stay on the citalopram until the CBT sessions and then somehow come off the AD's.

So I guess I'm wondering if I should move intone retracing 50mg.

AntoinetteCosWay, sorry to hijack your thread but it's just the info I was after.

Many hanks in advance.

mumat39 Thu 08-Nov-12 00:09:30

Stupid spell check. Sorry.

I was wondering if I should move onto the Sertraline 50mg and if you think I should, can I just switch? The gp said I could, but won't I get some sort of withdrawal symptoms from coming off the citalopram?

Thanks again.

BluelightsAndSirens Thu 08-Nov-12 22:11:17

Cit isn't addictive so you should be ale to swap with no problems.

I'm newly taking cut and hoping it starts to work very soon, my shoulders ache from all the tension!!

mumat39 Fri 09-Nov-12 00:29:35

Thanks. That's good to know.

I ran out of citalopram a while ago and after about 4 days I had these really odd woosy moments, so if it's not addictive, then are these something other than withdrawal symptoms?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now