Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Seeing GP tomorrow, need help to prepare.

(7 Posts)
BeyondLimitsOfTheLivingDead Tue 30-Oct-12 15:50:58

Hi, I also posted this in chat but thought I might get more specific help here...

Bit of background, I have chronic depression and psoriasis, both have been ongoing for years with patches where I am fine, but then they reappear.
Depression has been pretty much ongoing since I was pregnant with Ds1, and was first diagnosed as AND, though I had it before any children too. It faded after having him, but didnt go away, returned with a vengenace with DS2 and has not faded at all (hes 6m now). Was put on citalopram in third trimester, which I took til about 2-3months ago, when I visited the doctor and said it wasnt working. We had a quick chat during which he said that bipolar was a possibility because of my mood swings, but that I'd need to see a psychiatrist for that, then probably stop breastfeeding if I did have it, cause of bipolar meds. So first he would try me on lofepramine to see if that helped, during which time DS2 would be over six months if I did have to stop (I would prefer not to stop anyway btw, I know that some meds are compatible with BF, especially over 6m, so would worry about this at the time). I'll write about current MH in a mo...
The psoriasis when I last saw the doctor was on my boobs and the back of my scalp, and a little on my thighs. He told me to go back if it got worse and I have been referred to a dermatologist. He gave me a different cream, which does stop it looking so red and angry, but has not made it go away. It is worse now. It covers my scalp, my boobs and my nipples, as well as down my inner arms to my wrists, my whole thighs and the back of my calfs i wonder if this is because of the stress of worrying about my mental health though?
I also to add to the huge list mentioned joint pain while i was there, which he said was probably caused by psoriatic arthritis, and referred me for blood tests. These have come back clear, and again, the pain in much worse than it was.

So at first, as with the citalopram, I think the lofepramine is working, I feel quite good. Then it gradually goes downhill. I start having more and more off days. Where I dont want to get out of bed and DH will come in off a nightshift and have the kids while I lie awake in bed. Then there are the fights (not physical!) I have periods of being so irritable that I will pick fights with DH over anything. For instance last week he had a shower when he got in from work. I decided that this meant he was going to pressure me into sex. Looking at it now, I know this was a completely crazy leap, but at the time I was utterly convinced. My thoughts race and I get carried away with made up scenarios. It only takes the tiniest bit of "evidence" for me to imagine a whole story and run with it God, I sound like a complete fruit loop. After these rows, I find it very hard to recollect what happened, almost as if I were drunk.

I have also in the last few months, spent a lot of money on impulse. This was this one thing that led me to think about bipolar, after my sister was telling me about a friend of hers who does it.

If you've read this far, you deserve a medal!

I will write this down to take to my GP, does anyone have any experience of similar, who can maybe suggest things I havent thought of?

curiousparent Wed 31-Oct-12 07:06:10

I don't have too much experience but I just wanted to say I think printing off your post is good as it explains a lot and will ensure you don't forget things when you get to the appointment.

Do you have any 'talking' therapy at all? I just wondered if CBT or something else may help?

Good luck

curiousparent Wed 31-Oct-12 07:11:41

I also wonder if improving the psoriasis may help your depression? Do you keep notes to see if there is any association between the 2? Are you due to see the dermatologist for a review again?

BeyondLimitsOfTheLivingDead Wed 31-Oct-12 14:52:37

Im on the waitng list to see a dermatologist, not seen one yet
I think there is definitely a possibility my MH is affecting my skin, which in turn then affcts my MH......

Crawling Thu 01-Nov-12 09:15:29

I have bipolar and i am currently breastfeeding while taking anti pyschs so it can be done and as i am type 1 I am on quite a few meds.

Secondly bipolar takes a while for psychiatrist to diagnose as it is episodal and pychiatrist waiting lists and times between appointments are long unless chronically unwell so you will probably have finished nursing by the time you are diagnosed hth

BeyondLimitsOfTheLivingDead Thu 01-Nov-12 13:26:23

I went this morning, I'm now going on the waiting list to see the psychiatrist.

BeyondLimitsOfTheLivingDead Thu 01-Nov-12 13:27:00

Ps, thanks both smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now