Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

CBT and other therapies for severe depression

(5 Posts)
anchovies Tue 30-Oct-12 10:09:55

Just wondering if anyone has any thoughts on the relevance of CBT on severe depression? I am finally starting to get some improvement on Venlafaxin and am thinking about ways I can continue to improve/prevent it reoccurring in the future (today is the first good day in weeks!)

I have had CBT in the past for obsessive thoughts and social anxiety and found it worked well but am struggling to find thoughts/behaviours related to depression that I could look at through CBT. I don't seem to think or do anything when I am not well and move quickly between being lighthearted and full of life to pretty much "nothing".

Or is there anything else that I could try?

AlexanderS Tue 30-Oct-12 11:51:29

As I understand it a CBT therapist would get you out doing things, encouraging you to go to social events you would otherwise have said no to etc. Acting like a non-depressed person person basically, in the hope that your feelings will catch up.

Salbertina Tue 30-Oct-12 16:51:32

I wouldn't touch CBT for severe depression, you likely need to go much deeper. Recommend psychotherapy.

daffydowndilly Tue 30-Oct-12 18:48:55

My understanding is the CBT is like a plaster, it gets the mind into a better state where psychotherapy can then start working deeper and more thoroughly. But CBT has fast results, and psychotherapy takes a long time but I think the changes are more substantial. In particular, if you already believe that your thought patterns aren't skewed, CBT won't make much of a difference.

awaywego1 Tue 30-Oct-12 22:22:31

I'd recommend cognitive therapy as opposed to behavioural for severe depression or acceptance and commitment therapy (a branch of cbt) which includes mindfulness based approaches-which has good outcomes with relapsing depression.
CBT should not be a one size fits all sticking plaster and can and should look at the development of your depression through life (including childhood) as well as the current maintaining factors.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now