Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Highly Sensitive People/Unwanted Bad Thoughts...

(4 Posts)
MrsWolowitz Tue 30-Oct-12 09:34:33

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

cocolepew Tue 30-Oct-12 09:44:43

My DD has had instrusive thoughts since she was 11, she's now 14. As far as I'm concerned it's OCD. She sufferes from anxiety and has ASD traits. I would describe her a HS but only because of her Asd/anxiety, I don't know much about HS.

She had therapy when she was 11(only 6 sessions, but it was enough) and is learning to cope with them now.

FlippetyFlipFlaps Fri 02-Nov-12 10:07:07

Perhaps try some mindfulness meditation. Either find a class or get a book with guided CD (Mindfulness by Mark Williams & Danny Penman) is a particularly good one.

It works by concentrating on your breath and initially it is incredibly difficult to switch off all your thoughts (in fact when you actively try to not think of any thing but your breath you realise just how much traffic you have in your head). However it does get easier and you start to realise that you can just observe these thoughts and that you have a choice as to whether you want to dwell on them.

It builds resilience and brings calm to your your life.

Divinyl Sat 03-Nov-12 13:09:36

Yes, I would second Flippety, but as I have mentioned in passing somewhere else, I find a good hypnotherapy CD is the only thing that can make me do this effectively. There are lots of different types, like getting rid of emotional baggage or better sleep, not just things with a goal that may not be very beneficial to you. I once had some sessions with a hypnotherapist which was very helpful and she recorded a session so you can have a completely tailor-made script, and someone that can observe when you are properly relaxed, if that is an option for your budget.

The other thing that I did which I found interesting, but it most definitely would depend on the nature of the unwanted thoughts and the ways they affect you, was to take part in a psychological trial for someone's PHD. It lasted a month and it was specifically examining ways that traumatic 'pop up' memories can be controlled. Mainly it was assessing mood after certain online exercises like filling in sentences or saying how neutral situations seemed to you. It helped enough to move me on a bit and I also felt like I was doing something daily that might end up working, and that someone was interested, iyswim. This was local to me at the time, in a well regarded psychiatric dept of a university.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now