Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Have been on an even keel for a while but all this Jimmy Saville stuff has knocked me

(12 Posts)
NeverKnowinglyUnderstood Sun 28-Oct-12 12:13:15

is this normal do you think?
it is the first time since graduating from Therapy that I have felt so anxious and fight or flighty..
It has totally triggered my ptsd.
I am emplying the strategies I have learned and trying to keep an even view of things... I am not currently in danger.. I am safe protected and loved..
However I think all this stuff is going to be around for a while to come.. I can't avoid every newpaper or tv news bulletin or conversation in the playground forever...

Any ideas???

NeverKnowinglyUnderstood Sun 28-Oct-12 13:30:24

hopeful bump

44SoStartingOver Sun 28-Oct-12 13:34:09

I think completely normal and entirely understandable. Weird if you did not respond if you think about it.

Your successful strategies can continue to serve you well. If there is any positive from this (hard to see I know) it is that you are not alone, that feeling powerless during or after an assault is very common as a reaction and that you are normal and the offender is not.

The very high profile of this is going to raise awareness of how people relate to and understand survivors and thrivers after assaults/abuse.

Really crappy though I do appreciate.

NeverKnowinglyUnderstood Sun 28-Oct-12 19:03:36

thanks... it has just really shaken me... I thought I was now well.. this has knocked my confidence

44SoStartingOver Sun 28-Oct-12 19:19:14

You are well, it sounds to me. Every single nice person who has read these stories is shocked and appalled by them.

Remember what happened to you has given you PTSD. So the triggers have put you back on your mettle. It is good those responses still work in the right way. However, you can benefit from using your strategies to ensure you dont stay at high alert.

Sounds like you are doing great to me!

NeverKnowinglyUnderstood Sun 28-Oct-12 19:47:48

Have been teetering on contacting my old Therapist to see if we could fit in a session, just to bolster my defences... Would that seem wierd to her do you think?

FarelyKnuts Sun 28-Oct-12 20:02:52

I think contacting her for another session is an excellent idea. I would doubt very much she would think it weird. I know rcc and survivor places often have an increase in contacts when there are high profile cases in the media as it understandably can bring up some stuff for people.

NeverKnowinglyUnderstood Sun 28-Oct-12 20:12:25

thanks... will send her an email. what is rcc?

44SoStartingOver Sun 28-Oct-12 20:21:33

I think that sounds an excellent idea - sort of preventative treatment. Being proactive in any way is very good IMO!

FarelyKnuts Mon 29-Oct-12 12:08:48

Sorry. Rcc is a rape crisis centre.
How are you doing today?

NeverKnowinglyUnderstood Mon 29-Oct-12 14:14:45

quite calm actually... think it may be because it is half term and have loads I have to do with the children here. We are in our own little bubble.. iykwim.

You seem knowledgable about this sort of stuff is it an area you work in?

FarelyKnuts Mon 29-Oct-12 17:04:44

Lets just say it is one I have a lot of experience with.
Glad half term is proving a distraction.
Feel free to PM me anytime if you need someone to talk to as well.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now