Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Would you seek a diagnosis for ASD for yourself?

(13 Posts)
PromQueenWithin Fri 26-Oct-12 17:21:13

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Crawling Fri 26-Oct-12 20:17:42

Hi my dd is in the middle of a asd diagnosis and i have bipolar my personal opinion is that getting diagnosed is hard and very stressful so if you see no benefit i wouldn't plus i don't think people diagnosed with a asd are allowed to drive so having a label may cost you so i would work out the pros and cons and then decide hth

fuzzpig Fri 26-Oct-12 20:22:13

Hello smile
I am having an assessment with a psychologist next month to probably diagnose aspergers.
I have told my managers about this, they've been very supportive and basically I feel it'd be good to be able to officially say why I find particular things very difficult. I don't mind people knowing, I'd rather they did I think.
I wish I'd known when I was younger - it would've saved a lot of self hate from wondering why I wasn't like other people.

CrapBag Fri 26-Oct-12 22:12:51

Oooo I am just wondering the same thing myself.

Interesting about the driving though. I will have to find out if that is true as I need to drive and nothing about my personality affects my driving.

CrapBag Fri 26-Oct-12 22:14:57

I am actually a good driver and I found it so easy from the moment I first got in a car, it felt like I was meant to drive and came so naturally.

Felicitywascold Fri 26-Oct-12 22:18:59

ASD is not neccersarily a barrier to driving. You do have to declare it to the DVLA but many autistic people are able to drive.

Crawling Fri 26-Oct-12 22:22:57

Thanks felicity i was worried dd would not be able to drive.

PromQueenWithin Fri 26-Oct-12 23:59:57

PromQueenWithin Sat 27-Oct-12 00:03:28

VintageRainBoots Sat 27-Oct-12 00:09:44

I've wondered about getting a diagnosis for Asperger's for myself. I always score sky-high on those self-assessments.

As far as driving is concerned, I have an impeccable sense of direction---it's impossible for me to get lost, for example---and excellent/superior spatial skills. However, it took me a full three years and two car accidents before I could drive. It did not come naturally to me at all. For example, I thought if you turned the steering wheel 90 degrees, the car should turn 90 degrees as well (it didn't...I'd run off the road).

Yes, I tend to take things too literally. wink

sashh Sat 27-Oct-12 07:26:36

I was wondeering about this.

Bluepenny Sun 28-Oct-12 12:04:12

Same here... especially as DS has a dx of ASD, so it had to come from somewhere!

It's impacted on relationships, employment, friendships (or lack of more like) - to the point I am in a place of being able to start again.

Doing that with a diagnosis and strategies to help me would hopefully bring me happier experiences.

Where do you get one done? Referral via GP or private?

AlexanderS Mon 29-Oct-12 20:19:53

I quite want to ask people I know if they secretly think I'm weird. People would find that a bit weird though, right?

I want to do that too PromQueen! I'm also considering getting myself tested for ASD (my half-brother has just been diagnosed with Aspergers syndrome, my score on the AQ test is 29 and I'm constantly finding myself in situations where either I don't "get" someone or they don't get me).

The National Autistic Society website says to go to your GP and ask for a referral Blue.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now