Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Where can I go to recover? Have you ever taken off?

(12 Posts)
mulranno Fri 26-Oct-12 12:17:10

Will a break get me out of this hole? Have had the most hideous time - want time out - where can I go alone -- some sort of healing retreat? or just a cottage on my own. Has nayone done this -- will it make me better -- desperate.

sooperdooper Fri 26-Oct-12 12:22:49

Sorry to hear you've had a terrible time, are you feeling a bit better now?

I'm sure there are lots of lovely calming retreat places, I've heard of some where you can do meditation & yoga, or art lessons but I've never been to one so don't know where to recommend

Hopefully someone else will come along with some proper suggestions soon smile

amillionyears Fri 26-Oct-12 18:07:53

What sort of thing are you after?
What do you want healing from?
Is it just peace and quiet that you want

weegiemum Fri 26-Oct-12 18:09:03

Pm me if you want. I know a good retreat place!

mulranno Fri 26-Oct-12 19:51:22

I have had the most dreadful few years, major bereavment, major money issues, serious behavioral problems with 2 of my 4 children, work full time in very stressful job, marriage problems - Have been on ADs for years recently rxed tranqulizers as having a major crisis - just feel burnt out. Have had one weeks holiday in the past year - which was a nightmare with my dysfunctional family. Its all such a mess - I need some air

amillionyears Fri 26-Oct-12 20:44:25

I had a lot of children in a short space of time.
I was fortunate in that I had people I could leave them with to go off by myself every few months for a few days at a time.
I didnt go that far, in case there was an emergency,but there never was.
Sounds like you need those breaks too.
Did me the world of good,and I didnt have anything like the trauma you have had.

daffydowndilly Sat 27-Oct-12 09:09:53

What about seeing if you can go into a treatment centre for a short while, just to get support and to get away from your life, so you can concentrate on you? Particularly if you have private health insurance through work, it could be feasible. I did this because of a shit & highly stressful marriage, and I needed time away to start focusing on myself again. It did work, but only as the start of a year of therapy too, but it was the start I really needed. It changed my life.

mulranno Sat 27-Oct-12 15:29:52

daffydowndilly -- thanks I think that I do need something more than a "holiday" - I do have insurance -- where did you go - for how long and what did you do there? Did your GP refer you?...I am worried that I wont ever get a job again or a mortgage if I check in somewhere.

daffydowndilly Sun 28-Oct-12 08:18:25

Mulranno - sent pm.

sailorsgal Sun 28-Oct-12 08:32:06

I would go on retreat, I am a yoga teacher and could help you find something. You could find somewhere with lots of therapies on offer, depends on budget really. Would it be somewhere in this country?

mulranno Sun 28-Oct-12 09:44:07

Hi sailorgal - Uk would be great and would help with budget (I am resigned to investing in my MH at this point) so please post some links or PM if that is more comfortable/approriate for you - I need some deep grief counselling

sailorsgal Sun 28-Oct-12 10:48:07

mulranno will pm you. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now