Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Post pueral psychosis

(99 Posts)
cheekypickle Thu 25-Oct-12 20:03:07

Anyone else out there suffered from this scary condition? I still have depression from it but after nearly a year I'm so much better than what I was

HeinousHecate Thu 25-Oct-12 20:05:26

Yes. After my first was born, I thought he had died during the birth and been replaced by an evil demon, who used to leer evilly at me. I used to sit and try to work out how they had cut up my baby to get him out of me.

I was ill for several years.

GrimAndHumourless Thu 25-Oct-12 20:06:24

darling I hate to be down on you but honestly AIBU is not the place for all your questions

Folk who might be able to help you with this ain't necessarily going to be hanging around AIBU

Why not post in the appropriate topic, yes?

cheekypickle Thu 25-Oct-12 20:07:56

I'm so sorry to hear that.

I thought my little one was evil and used to stare at me.

Iif you don't mind me asking in what way were you ill for several years?

My episode was last November and I still feel depressed about it

LadyWidmerpool Thu 25-Oct-12 20:10:54

Grim you don't need to be 'down on' the OP, you could just make your suggestion in a nice way. Are you having a bad day?

OP and Hecate I hope you have RL support. It sounds truly terrifying.

GhostofMammaTJ Thu 25-Oct-12 20:11:43

No, you are bipolar. May be made worse by having had a baby but that was your DX.

cheekypickle Thu 25-Oct-12 20:12:51

What does DX mean?

HeinousHecate Thu 25-Oct-12 20:14:13

I had a great many intrusive thoughts, I was depressed, paranoid at times. I was pregnant again 6 months after he was born and had so much worry.

You see, my first was complicated. Shoulder dystocia. We both nearly died. I hemorrhaged and nearly needed a blood transfusion. my son was left with erbs palsy. I was traumatised and it just got really bad.

The biggest mistake we made was not telling anyone. We hid it. I had all these thoughts and feelings and saw things (like his face changing) and me and my husband were terrified social services would come and take him away. So he helped me to cover it up. Shielded me. When things were really bad, he'd intercept people, etc, etc.

It was the worst thing to have done. If anyone is reading this I would beg them to not make that mistake. To get help. Our fears had no basis in reality.

I wasn't myself afterwards for such a long time. It was years before I could even describe his birth without breaking down. If I'd got help, I wouldn't have had to suffer all that.

TheHeirOfSlytherin Thu 25-Oct-12 20:14:49

diagnosis

HeinousHecate Thu 25-Oct-12 20:14:58

it means diagnosis.

GhostofMammaTJ Thu 25-Oct-12 20:15:16

Diagnosis!

HeinousHecate Thu 25-Oct-12 20:15:48

lady - I'm fine. I just want to, if at all possible, tell what happened and use it to try to help other people. If in no other way than to let them know they're not alone.

HeinousHecate Thu 25-Oct-12 20:16:25

I just want to tell what happened and, if at all possible, use it to try to help other people

that should read.

wimblehorse Thu 25-Oct-12 20:16:46

Yes I was convinced DS was going to die and I would be sent to prison where I would be attacked for being a child killer. This was shortly after Baby P case. I thought DH and my midwife were lying to me and that DS was seriously ill. I felt helpless to do anything about it and resorted to writing down every feed and nappy change that I was going to try and use as "evidence" that I hadn't been neglecting DS.
Anti-psychotic drugs, sleeping pills & the local mental health team following my lovely GP's emergency call got me through the first few weeks. Anti-depressants and counselling the nest few months.
Currently 38 weeks pg with DS2 and praying it does not get so bad again, but reassured that we did get through it.
Hope you are getting the support you need and you do too.

GhostofMammaTJ Thu 25-Oct-12 20:18:10

Hecate that sounds horrendous and real post pueral psychosis. Glad you got help in the end.

OP, I can understand you prefering that diagnosis to the diagnosis of bipolar. They are both tough, but bipolar is for life. It IS manageable though!!

cheekypickle Thu 25-Oct-12 20:20:55

No I had post pueral phycosis, I became delusional and thought Stephen fry was coming to my house to help me with charity deeds.

I started rambling and getting hyperactive and was admitted to mental hospital

cheekypickle Thu 25-Oct-12 20:21:12

I also have bi polar

GhostofMammaTJ Thu 25-Oct-12 20:22:23

I think the prefered term is psychiatric hospital.

cheekypickle Thu 25-Oct-12 20:23:16

I prefer to say what ever I like seeing as I went through it. What's your problem with me?

TheHeirOfSlytherin Thu 25-Oct-12 20:24:22

Are you back at work now op? I've seen your other threads. How are you holding up?

cheekypickle Thu 25-Oct-12 20:25:06

Not very well, finding it hard

GhostofMammaTJ Thu 25-Oct-12 20:28:46

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

TheHeirOfSlytherin Thu 25-Oct-12 20:29:03

<offers brew> I've been having an epiphany myself over the last few days.

cheekypickle Thu 25-Oct-12 20:30:32

They diagnosed me with PPS when I was first admitted then said tht I have Bi polar

unexpectediteminbaggingarea Thu 25-Oct-12 20:36:06

do you mean puerperal psychosis op? I haven't read your other posts but I hope you are getting the help you need.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now