Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Someone talk to me about fish oils please?

(5 Posts)
GoddessofSuburbia Tue 23-Oct-12 01:00:40

Apologies for posting this and then buggering off to bed! I should be there already but my stupid brain won't switch off...

I'm sure I've read something about fish oils being used in studies as an adjunct for treating people with depression, with some success. The only problem is that I can't find the original thing I read, and I've got myself rather horribly confused about the different types of oils!

Can anyone shed any light on this? I promise I'll come back in the morning when I'm functioning slightly better than I am now! smile

chocoluvva Tue 23-Oct-12 10:34:54

Well, fish oil definitely won't hurt and should be beneficial. A deficiency in omega 3 can contributo to impaired mood and cognitive functioning, amongst other things.
Better than cod liver oil - Krill oil - available in capsules, fortunately. You need to take it for six weeks at least to notice a difference though.
Make sure you're getting enough B vitamins and magnesium and calcium too.

RationalBrain Tue 23-Oct-12 10:39:14

Well, I have absolutely no scientific knowledge on this, but I've suffered from depression on and off since a teenager, and I definitely 'feel' that taking fish oils helps me. I'm not 'woo' at all, but a healthy diet has got to help how your body functions (including your brain). Not saying it is a cure by any means (especially if you have sever depression), but a little leg up.

Salbertina Tue 23-Oct-12 14:04:45

Reportedly (don't remember where!) Japan has highest rate of fish eating in world...and lowest level of depression. Some research proves a causal link...
The book "Healing without Freud or Prozac' worth a look.

chocoluvva Tue 23-Oct-12 15:46:57

Sorry I meant to add Vit D to that list.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now