Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Should I take citalopram?

(3 Posts)
Autumnbatcat Mon 22-Oct-12 15:38:31

I went to the docs with my nerves. There are a number of things going on in my life that I can't control, I can just sort of live through, and most of the time I'm ok, but then suddenly I'll start talking about it and it's like being hit by a truck, and I burst into tears. Then I have a cry, and just get on with life.
I have a very young family - we had 3 children very quickly one after the other, and the eldest although I love him with every breath, is very challenging when the other two are around. We are managing his behaviour but it's very draining because there isn't a moment when I can let my guard down even for a second, as he hurts the others.
My husband has some pronounced ASD features and we're working towards a diagnosis but again it's quite draining as I have to do a lot of the thinking/planning especially with the kids as he just doesn't "get it" unless I'm incredibly specific. He is so clever he's barely functional but I can't take anything for granted as being intuitive for him.
We're in the middle of a significant legal case which is likely to go our way but is a constant source of strain.
I find myself really snapping at the kids, especially the oldest, and then am wretched with guilt afterwards.
My doctor diagnosed anxiety disorder rather than depression and prescribed CBT but I find it very hard and stressful to get to the appointments as I have to find childcare for all 3 children.
He also suggested citalopram which at the time I dismissed out of hand as I didn't want to feel even more depleted and tired. I saw a friend at the weekend however, who mentioned she was on it, for similar reasons and says it enables her to cope.
I don't want to be reliant/addicted and I can't bear the thought of even less energy than I have.
What should I do?

Autumnbatcat Mon 22-Oct-12 15:39:31

Sorry that was really long! blush
Today has been crap and I accidentally hurt the youngest and have been crying for the past hour. :-(

Amykins Tue 23-Oct-12 15:23:57

Citalopram is a good idea; I took it for pnd. Very sorry you have had a bad day; it might give you more energy, though, if it lifts your mood. Take care.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now