Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Treatment for emeptophobe?

(46 Posts)
Badvoc Sat 20-Oct-12 22:14:56

Is there anything?
I have come to the conclusion that I am an emeptophobe.
Not as bad as some, from what I have read online, but still bad enough to really affect my life.
I am so fed up of it.
I am 40 fgs!
I have little money so expensive treatments/interventions are out sad
Any advice appreciated.

RTchoke Sat 20-Oct-12 22:26:26

I got CBT on the NHS. Amazing results. Needed about 12 weeks one to one but therapist saw what was necessary and that is what I got. Twice (first treatment worked well but I relapsed 7 years later after a lot of stress). Second treatment was last year & I feel it cured me.

hellhasnofurylikeahungrywoman Sat 20-Oct-12 22:30:50

CBT on the NHS here too. Not cured but much better, I am no longer locking myself in my room like I was.

corblimeymadam Sat 20-Oct-12 22:35:10

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Badvoc Sat 20-Oct-12 22:36:51

Thank you

corblimeymadam Sat 20-Oct-12 22:38:31

Badvoc Sun 21-Oct-12 08:41:52

Can I ask what CBT involves?
Is it very expensive?
Dont think I would get it on the NHS in this neck of the woods and tbh am pretty embarrassed about it, dont really want to tell gp...

corblimeymadam Sun 21-Oct-12 09:15:34

Badvoc Tue 23-Oct-12 20:04:24

Thank you bb.
Will check out the web link.
Have aphid a very rough couple of weeks and my health is deteriorating (have got me/Cfs) so am feeling very low ATM.
I am very very cross with myself as I always am.
But being cross won't get me anywhere sad

corblimeymadam Tue 23-Oct-12 20:20:19

Badvoc Tue 23-Oct-12 20:47:49

Thank you x

Badvoc Tue 23-Oct-12 20:53:36

I suppose I have a fear of seeing a therapist and them turning round and saying"you aren't that bad! Get a grip! You idiot!"
One thing I am proud of is that, even with my phobia, when my kids are sick I am there for them 100%.
I mop it up, I hold the bowl, I stroke their backs and put them in bed with me.
I will not pass on this awful phobia to them.
sad

corblimeymadam Tue 23-Oct-12 20:55:51

Badvoc Tue 23-Oct-12 20:57:08

God, it's hard isn't it? sad

corblimeymadam Tue 23-Oct-12 21:00:26

corblimeymadam Tue 23-Oct-12 21:00:52

Badvoc Tue 23-Oct-12 21:04:46

I am sorry to hear that bb.
Can't imagine how hard that must be sad
I totally get what you mean about it making you put it off though...it's a lot easier with dh here to help clean up!!
I would hate to be in my own and dealing with it.
But you will do it.
You are strong! smile

corblimeymadam Tue 23-Oct-12 21:06:28

Badvoc Tue 23-Oct-12 21:50:41

Yes.
We are not alone! smile

JulietMontague Thu 25-Oct-12 02:40:03

Hello I've just found this tread, I'm a migrant from the emetophobes bench! I'm lay here awake at 2 am convinced that Ds is going to get sick because the noro is going round his school. I can't sleep because I'm on alert for any sick sounds from the kids room. I feel like this is starting to take over my life and really think I need treatment but DH thinks I'm daft sad. Also, I would normally avoid the GPs at this time of year because of the chance of picking up a virus so I probably won't go anyway. Sorry for rambling, I haven't slept in ages.

hellhasnofurylikeahungrywoman Thu 25-Oct-12 03:27:23

juliet About 3 years ago I was like you. I spent Christmas locked in my room avoiding my family. Every spare minute was spent watching the news or reading Teletext to see how Noro was affecting the area I lived in. Going to work was a nightmare because I worked in a school, I would focus on the children who were off sick and work myself into a frenzy trying to figure out if they had Noro and if I'd been in contact with them. I wouldn't eat so that I couldn't be sick. I would drink only tiny sips of boiled water. Eventually I plucked up courage to ask my GP for help and was referred for CBT, luckily my referral came through quickly.

Three years down the line I am not cured but I am much better. I can eat pork, I am more relaxed around chicken, I can eat out and I can go abroad on holiday. All of those things I couldn't do before because my phobia ruled my life. Please try to pluck up the courage to speak to someone.

Badvoc Thu 25-Oct-12 07:54:07

I have contacted a psychologist and am looking into starting therapy.
I don't want to go to my gp...not a very understanding man.
It's £70 per session...does that sound about right?
Will be booking an appt tomorrow.
Thank you

Gingerbreadlatte Thu 25-Oct-12 08:07:56

Hello, just joining this. I am also emetophobic, have been for years and it's awful. I am generally just scared of others vomiting but if it's me I have to be entirely alone and private.

Badvoc- well done for making a call about an appt for cbt. Please let us know how it goes. You are good that you can take kids to bed with you, that is my idea of hell- my dd puking over me in my bed!

The reason I posted was re your comment about not passing the phobia on to the kids. I've recently learnt that my mother is emetophobic too. She never said a word, talked of her friend being phobic, but never said it about herself. Even now, she said it to my DH not me ( I was in other room). So I am wondering I subconsciously picked it up from her or it's coincidence.

Badvoc Thu 25-Oct-12 08:13:17

I think my mother is too, in fact she has many issues wrt health anxiety and I am pretty sure I picked it up from her, but it's not a conversation I can have with her sad
I will let you know how it goes x

Badvoc Thu 25-Oct-12 08:13:39

Oh, and if I am sick I have to go away by myself too...how weird!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now