Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Bi polar and pregnant!

(14 Posts)
Nuttyfilly Tue 16-Oct-12 09:51:44

Hi all I'm 13 + 2 weeks and have rapid cycling bi polar, just wondering if there is anyone else out there who is in the same boat? I already have a 6 year old son, who understands sometimes I'm not well which we call head monsters lol,
Anyway it's been a roller coaster of emotions and ups and downs this past few weeks, my poor partner bless him him doesn't no if he's coming or going some days. We are also farmers which can add to the stress as well.
I've been having a rough time of it lately but I'm getting there I think, I'm not on any meds because I was worried about the impact they would have on newborn, anyway rambled on enough, hope to here from you soon

mrsfuzzy Wed 17-Oct-12 09:48:12

you have my sympathy i have rapid cycle bi polar too but not pregnant, head monsters, like it, my kids laugh and say mum's doing her teenage years again, pink hair, heavy metal music etc. but back to you, do you see a psyhchiatrist for treatment? they could advise you regarding meds during pregnancy or if you are antimeds during this time, understandable, how was you coping before you were pregnant? the bi polar organisation has been a great help to me and given advice on dealing with the condition. how about doing some gentle yoga or meditation, talking treatments, art and creative activites would help calm your mind too, get plenty of rest and try to balance life the best you can, when all is said and done you won't be pregnant forever, so you can be sure things will settle down again, its good that your son is aware of the condition and your partner sounds fantastic, as long as you keep him in the loop of how you feel thats good, but i would say like depression, its hard living along side bipolar but just take each day as it comes. be kind to yourself and enjoy your pregnancy the best you can, best wishes to you and your family.

Nuttyfilly Wed 17-Oct-12 19:08:36

Ah thank you mrsfuzzy! I just keep rolling along taking each day as it comes.

DiamondDoris Fri 19-Oct-12 16:37:39

I'm bipolar but not pregnant, obviously was bipolar when pregnant. I was lucky, my moods stabilised when pregnant. However, I didn't know I was bipolar then. Yes, I agree with mrsfuzzy, see your psychiatrist. I think there are meds that are safe during pregnancy. Natural alternatives (which kind of help) are fish oils (or tinned fish) and fewer carbs. I know this isn't great advice, but I wish you an enjoyable pregnancy.

Nuttyfilly Fri 19-Oct-12 22:39:46

Thank you! I see my cpn once a week, she and I are on agreement I'm doing really well and have chatted with my mental health consultant who is happy with things at the moment, also if I went down again my partner would be straight on the phone to them to sort things out med wise

Crawling Sat 20-Oct-12 07:47:16

I am bipolar 1 with separate psychotic episodes and catatonia during depression. My 3rd child is one we agreed that no med unless i either lost my ability to make decisions or asked for them.

I have always found with pg it seems to stabilize me just as good as med. After the birth however I became depressed but as I wanted to feed we used only anti depressants which took the edge of my symptoms as I didn't want to breast feed and take anti pychs. I have recently started taking anti pychs while continuing feeding as although I was happy to deal with feeling depressed (anti depressants are not very effective for me) my psychosis started to get worse so my pychiatrist said I needed to take anti pychs but if it helps I am feeding on them with no effect to my baby.

Nuttyfilly Sat 20-Oct-12 10:54:37

I can't bf, I have a deformed nipple tmi I no! So meds would be fine but I think I'm just going to take each day as it comes.
Hope everyone is feeling good today

fedupandtired Sat 20-Oct-12 19:02:14

I actually found that whilst pregnant I was the most stable I'd ever been which a lot of people with bipolar find. I did take an antidepressant throughout pregnancy but had no need for a mood stabiliser or anti-psychotic. Things completely went to pot after the births though but that's part and parcel of my bipolar unfortunately.

Yemenite Sun 21-Oct-12 09:05:39

Hi Nuttyfilly first off I also have a deformed nipple! I have never heard of anyone else with one!!!!

I have just been diagnosed with Bi-polar 2 and I have a three year old and I just miscarried my second sad

I found that while I was pregnant my depression and suicidal thoughts increased and I felt much less stable. Now I am no longer pregnant I find my mania increasing and I am over talkative and too hyper to concentrate on anything.

I have been given Seroquel (which they say you can use when pregnant but I didnt start it until after I miscarried) and although it does seem to help the mania, it is also making me feel very stoned and spacey.

I think you are incredibly brave. I am not sure i will get pregnant again if the horrific depression I had just now is anything to go by.

Nuttyfilly Sun 21-Oct-12 21:20:32

Chin up Yemenite! If you feel spaced all the time go to dr and tell them! I went threw all sorts of meds to find out what works, at the moment I'm setteled but as I said above take each day as it comes, with being farmers there is always something going on here to give my brain a focus which is good.
Fedupandtired I'm slightly worried I'll go to pot after the birth but I guess it's a wait and see game!
Oh boy is bi polar fun, not!

Yemenite Mon 22-Oct-12 09:04:03

Hee hee yep, loving being bi-polar!!! wink
I am going for another appointment on weds - I need something that will curb my appetite as seroquel makes me ravenous and I don't need weight gain on top of everything else...!

Nuttyfilly Tue 23-Oct-12 20:49:47

I was on lamictal. Never a dull moment in bi polar land lol

Yemenite Wed 24-Oct-12 12:14:36

She is putting me on Lamictal and weaning me off Seroquel but says that Seroquel is the only bi-polar med that can be taken in pregnancy.. Hmm.

Nuttyfilly Wed 24-Oct-12 21:19:24

Tricky one! I found lamictal really worked for me.but everyone's different.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now