Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Advice for the very anxious

(12 Posts)
ClaudiaSchiffer Sun 14-Oct-12 13:27:04

Hi there, I need some advice from those who have experienced severe anxiety and come through it.

A very dear friend is having a hell of a time with severe anxiety problems, bought on by chronic insomnia as a side effect of other medication. She is dealing with the medication issues and has used sleeping pills to help with the anxiety. Her doc has prescibed 2mg of Diazapam which she takes very rarely, but has done to help her sleep.

I know that CBT helped me a lot when I had similar issues, but wondered if there was a collective mumsnet set of "rules" that have helped others?

I would be extremely grateful for any help.

amillionyears Sun 14-Oct-12 15:28:44

Glad to see that you have started this thread.
This topic comes up again and again on here.
I do not have personal experience, so didnt feel it was right for me personally to start a thread of this nature.

ClaudiaSchiffer Sun 14-Oct-12 18:17:17

Thanks amillionyears, hopefully somebody will be along to start the collective wisdom ball rolling. smile

ChiefPotterer Mon 15-Oct-12 10:24:24

I am on an AD for anxiety/depression which was preceded by a period of insomnia-it has worked wonders. I would suggest that your friend discusses the option of one of the sedating ADs with her GP as this would hopefully clear up the sleep issues and alleviate the anxiety (mines Mirtrazapine but there are others). Hope she gets it sorted, insomnia and associated anxiety are dreadful.

ClaudiaSchiffer Mon 15-Oct-12 13:03:43

Thank you Chief, she has an appt at the doc so will get her to ask if ADs can be mixed with her current meds.

Out of interest and excuse my noseyness but how long did you put up with the anxiety/insomnia before you got the ADs? And also how long did they take to work?

ChiefPotterer Mon 15-Oct-12 18:42:57

I would say I had the anxiety for about 6 months and the insomnia 3 months to varying degrees before seeking help-I put it down to the stress of having 2 young children but then realised it was actually more than that!. I tried quite a few ADs with no success but when I finally goy put on Mirt. my symtoms were alleviated within days!. Best of luck to your friend.

ChiefPotterer Mon 15-Oct-12 18:43:37

*got not goy!.

greeneyed Tue 16-Oct-12 08:15:30

Hi there I had generalised anxiety disorder, panic attacks and OCD for around three years before I started fluoxetine (prozac) which changed my life. At the same time I had a course of CBT by a top psyche is liaison psychaitry which has given me life skills to keep the anxiety at bay, it took me quite a long time and to get quite ill before I got access to this service. My recommendation would be medication to stabilise symptoms whilst waiting for CBt. Xx

ClaudiaSchiffer Tue 16-Oct-12 19:54:25

Thank you so much Chief and greeneyed. It's really heartening to hear that medication has worked so well for you both.

Greeneyed, did your doc recommend a CBT therapist, we've been googling for local therapists but (quite rightly imo) my friend is reluctant to see one without a personal recommendation.

greeneyed Tue 16-Oct-12 22:14:49

I was referred through NHS. The therapsist is key I'd had two previous counsellors who weren't helpful. Yes I would ask GP for referral if going private, in addition, can your friend have a first meeting before commiting to a course to make sure they feel comfortable with the practitioner,

twolittlekings Wed 17-Oct-12 18:08:34

Yes would agree with medication as an intervention. I fought for 6 months and am now at the stage where I am severely afflicted. I should have taken it a lot sooner. CBT can help but it depends on you and your trainer. I felt with mine she was under qualified and wanted to tick boxes. If I was in tears she would not react to my story but look at the clock and say, right where we're we we've only got half an hour!! My GP admitted that in their efforts to widen mental health accessibility they ate dumbing down on the quality and capacity of their staff, often using people who are currently training and are not properly trained. I need someone who has good experience and I am now waiting to see if I can go and see a proper psychotherapist.

Hope this helps

greeneyed Wed 17-Oct-12 20:10:45

two little kings that is exactly my initial experiences of NHS therapy and your GP is spot on. As is always the case with the NHS it will be cheapest option first which translates as least well trained. I started with CPN who was a recent graduate and just filled in forms. when they can't help you, you get passed up the chain and so on, so it can take some considerable time to see anyone decent.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now