Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Escitalopram

(21 Posts)
Llareggub Sat 13-Oct-12 22:04:11

Anyone got any experience of this? I have been prescribed it after the dr diagnosed anxiety and depression. I have been on it a week and I am absolutely exhausted. The doctor would like me to give it another week for the drug to start working but as a single parent of 2 young boys I am struggling.

I have noticed that I am clenching my jaw a lot and have a headache. Might this be related?

This depression has hit me like a bus; I have never felt like this before and now truly appreciate what people mean when they talk about how offensive it is to talk about "snapping out of it" and "cheering up." Bloody hell, it is horrible.

Sparklingbrook Sat 13-Oct-12 22:10:16

Hello Llareggub. I started on it in July 2011 and last week I took my last one.

The effects you describe are absolutely to do with the Citalopram. The clenchy jaw thing drove me mad. The GP is right, you need to keep going to give it a chance, you have done a week, and need to keep going even though it is bloody hard.

When it did take effect it was brilliant, but those first few weeks weren't great.

x

Sparklingbrook Sat 13-Oct-12 22:10:41

What dose are you on?

Llareggub Sat 13-Oct-12 22:23:35

It isn't Citalopram, it is definitely got Escitalopram on the box. Is it the same thing with a different name?

I am on 10mg. Did you come off them with help?

Sparklingbrook Sat 13-Oct-12 22:33:13

I think it is a very similar drug if not the same. I started on 20mg and went up to 40mg. I came off them by reducing the dose back down to 10mg and then stopping, under the guidance of the GP.

Unfortunately one of the side effects of stopping is I have the clenched jaw thing back for a while. sad

Llareggub Sat 13-Oct-12 22:35:13

Its horrid, isn't it, the jaw thing? I have a really dry mouth too. I can't wait to discover how much better I might feel.

Sparklingbrook Sat 13-Oct-12 22:38:06

That's what you have to look forward to Llareggub, try to think of the long term gain. But do stay in touch with the GP and if you are struggling go back and discuss it.

Another side effect I had and still have are vivid dreams. Not nightmares just very real film like dreams. Some of them are quite interesting. smile

Llareggub Sat 13-Oct-12 22:39:47

Yes! I HAVE had vivid dreams. It is a bit like being pregnant again.

Sparklingbrook Sat 13-Oct-12 22:41:00

Oh and maybe TMI but they made me constipated. sad

Llareggub Sat 13-Oct-12 22:42:28

I haven't had that. I am achey though.

Sparklingbrook Sat 13-Oct-12 22:43:51

Are you managing day to day with all this? How old are your boys?

Llareggub Sat 13-Oct-12 22:53:42

They are 5 and 3. I have been off sick this week and have managed to drag myself to school to drop them off and then crawl back into bed. Luckily they have been tired today and we have had a lazy day at home.

My mate has been feeding me at lunch time and has dragged me out for a few walks in the sunshine and I have been making some plans to change my situation which will hopefully improve things healthwise for me. I have a med cert for another week which will hopefully take me through the tiredness so I can return to work.

Sparklingbrook Sat 13-Oct-12 22:56:09

The walks are a really good idea, glad you have a friend looking after you too, that's great. One step at a time and hopefully, gradually you will start to feel better.

NanaNina Sat 13-Oct-12 23:22:26

So sorry you are feeling so crap Llre, yes depression is horrendous isn't it and no one can understand it unless they have experienced it. People say they are depressed when they are just a bit fed up and so that's what they assume depression is.

You seem to be on a very low dose of citalopram, which is what GPs usually start you on and the dose may need to be increased. You do need to be patient because these drugs take time to "kick in" (2/3 or even 4 weeks) sometimes. Do you know what caused this episode of depression?

kiwigirl42 Sat 13-Oct-12 23:37:18

I have been on a couple of different anti D's and really found citalopram the best (its same as escitalopram). Once your body gets used to it hopefully you will feel the weight of the world lift off you. If not, there are other to try. I only swapped as I was trying to find something that helped my chronic migraine. It may take a few weeks but hang in there

ike1 Sat 13-Oct-12 23:45:12

My understanding is that escitalopram is a more effective version of citalopram you dont have to take as much. I suggest taking the tablets at night to help with the tiredness.

Llareggub Sun 14-Oct-12 10:13:28

I am feeling quite good today. Woke up and actually bit of a laugh and giggle with the children without pretending.

I do know what has prompted this depression. I separated from my alcoholic exH in January and have pretty much been left alone with the children. My family are 150 miles away and I feel stuck here with no one here for me. My former inlaws are being tricky and I feel like I will never be able to move on. I have a plan to move back home as soon as I can find work and I am feeling more positive now I have a plan to be with people who love me.

Thank you all for your input.

NanaNina Sun 14-Oct-12 12:13:35

It's always easier I think Llare if you know what is causing the depression and yours is most certainly reactive depression isn't it, because you can take steps ( as you are doing|) to change your life style to something more positive. It is small wonder you are feeling depressed. Most depression has its roots in loss, and even if you were glad to be separated from your ex (and of course I don't know whether you were) it is still a loss. Also it doesn't sound like he ex is taking the children for a while, though if he is an alcoholic it's probably best if he doesn't.

Glad you are feeling good today - that I'm afraid is another trick depression plays on us - it fluctuates, for no apparent reason and you have good days and bad days, unless of course the ADs have kicked in but you still need to know that there are ups and downs in this horrid illness, but 4 out of 5 people will make a full recovery from depression in 4 - 6 months, and the younger you are the better the outcome.

Really hope you can get to live near your family asap. Is there no-one to whom you can turn, where you live. It's surprising how many good people there are I think, but many don't understand mental illness.

Llareggub Sun 14-Oct-12 12:39:13

Thanks NanaNina. I am aware that I might not feel so great tomorrow. Luckily I have been signed off for another week and I am hopeful that I will be able to return to work soon.

I am feeling guilty about moving my children away from their father but he has had one year to get sober and he hasn't. I can't take it any more.

NanaNina Sun 14-Oct-12 19:20:12

I think you've done the right thing - what use is an alcoholic father. The focus now has to be on you, and getting through this depression and when you have lifted, then you can start making plans to move back near your family. There will be brighter times ahead.

Llareggub Sun 14-Oct-12 19:31:38

Thanks, it has been a nightmare of a year with him being in and out of hospital. He lives with his parents again so it is very obvious to my children when daddy isn't around and his parents are quite literally my only back-up childcare that enable me to stay in a what can be a very demanding job. It's horrendous really. I feel very alone here.

I have spent all weekend with the children and nominally it is their father's turn to have them, albeit supervised by his parents. However he made no mention of it and I kept them with me and a whole weekend has passed without me talking to anyone over the age of 5. That is why mumsnet is so marvellous.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now