Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Behavioural Activation for depression

(5 Posts)
48Hours Thu 11-Oct-12 22:33:53

I was just curious as to whether anyone on here has had this form of therapy and how it has helped you?
After a very long wait I have recently started cbt and the therapist decided that behavioural activation would be the most appropriate treatment for my longstanding history of depression.
I am fully commited and in theory understand the logic behind it but would be really interested in hearing if/how this has worked for you?

AlteredState Thu 11-Oct-12 23:37:29

Yes I initially had this form of therapy. Looking back I suppose it did help me but at the time I hated it! I'd find it very stressful having to come up with tasks because I felt useless if I had tasks which I then couldn't / didn't complete (something else to beat myself up with). As I improved I did get satisfaction out of completing more tasks as I took this as a sign that I wasn't as bad as X, Y, Z weeks / months etc. Try it and see how it works out for you. Good luck.

48Hours Fri 12-Oct-12 16:14:21

Thanks Altered it's certainly no magic pill to take is it? smile
Bumping for anyone else.

48Hours Tue 16-Oct-12 01:00:19

bump?

TheSilverPussycat Tue 16-Oct-12 13:09:04

Start with exercise as a task, it has a twofold benefit - you do the task, and you feel better! (Says she who often fails to drag herself out the door, but feels better if she can do)

I am not actually familiar with this therapy, but it sounds v like part of the Condition Management Course (designed for physical and mild mental problems) on which I used to tutor.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now