Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Someone to help with addiction issues

(9 Posts)
ILoveSparklers Thu 11-Oct-12 21:25:57

I was wondering if anyone could point me in the direction of someone who could help with my mum's addiction to alcohol and painkillers. We need outside help but I need someone reliable and effective. I don't want to let her down. Any ideas? We are in Essex.

notnowbernard Thu 11-Oct-12 21:28:06

AA and/or NA?

But the first question to ask is whether your Mumrecognises she has a problem and the second, if she wants to do anything about it

ILoveSparklers Thu 11-Oct-12 22:13:59

She does recognise it deep down but not sure of she wants to do anything about it. It's going to kill her so I hope we can convince her. She won't go to a group meeting. Anyone know any counsellors or psychiatrists?

notnowbernard Fri 12-Oct-12 20:05:52

If she doesn't want to do anything about it, I doubt there's much you can do. I know that sounds a bit brutal, but IME it's true.

What have the consequences of her drinking been so far? What has she lost through alcohol? And what do you and her family do to support her atm - how do you react to her when a crisis occurs because of her drinking?

Sorry you're going through this, it's awful when someone you love is addicted to something

WithanAnotE Fri 12-Oct-12 21:02:29

Any help?

ILoveSparklers Mon 15-Oct-12 20:40:16

She's drinking openly again now. All going to pot...

RachelWalsh Mon 15-Oct-12 21:15:35

I think unless your mum wants help then like notnowbernard says there isn't much you can do.

Al-anon which is a fellowship supporting those affected by someone else's alcoholism could be helpful for you though.

ILoveSparklers Mon 15-Oct-12 22:03:27

Thank you. I feel like giving up. She doesn't want help, she wants to destroy herself. I hate her.

daffydowndilly Tue 16-Oct-12 16:16:28

I support that you need to get yourself to Al Anon and get support for yourself, that is the best way you can help your mum. If you really won't consider it, then at least go and talk to your GP about how you feel.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: