Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Someone to help with addiction issues

(6 Posts)
ILoveSparklers Thu 11-Oct-12 21:25:20

I was wondering if anyone could point me in the direction of someone who could help with my mum's addiction to alcohol and painkillers. We need outside help but I need someone reliable and effective. I don't want to let her down. Any ideas?

amillionyears Thu 11-Oct-12 22:51:30

Would she agree to you accompanying her to the GP to discuss this?

StandYourGround Fri 12-Oct-12 01:06:54

Yes your gp will have info about services in your area and should be able to refer your mother.

Tbh to have a better chance of being referred - she needs to see her gp herself to get this info...

ILoveSparklers Fri 12-Oct-12 07:39:19

She wouldn't want her gp to know as he knows her friends. Can I not just find someone private who deals with addiction? Would it be a psychiatrist or a different specialist?

amillionyears Fri 12-Oct-12 08:45:52

Looking up online about Achoholics Anonymous might be useful.
They at also have stuff on there about painkiller addiction.

daffydowndilly Tue 16-Oct-12 16:21:32

You can get counsellors/psychiatrists (the latter are often linked with treatment centres) who specialise in addiction. You could ask for personal recommendations at an Al Anon/AA open meeting, or look at the BACP website for a therapist.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: