Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Argh everywhere I turn! I need help.

(5 Posts)
VickyandAlistair Mon 08-Oct-12 22:22:27

Hello,

I don't often post in this topic, I like to believe I can keep a handle on my problem without help. But I do need help.

I have Emetophobia. Its a fear of vomiting. I have specific fear of others vomiting, I hate vomiting myself but its worse when others do it, specifically my ds who is 2 on Thursday.

I've tried EVERYTHING to rid myself of this phobia. I've had exposure therapy, CBT, hypnotherapy .. everything. I still have it, and it seems to be getting worse. And recently, cos all the kids are back at school I guess, its become 'that time of year' when its going round and the Internet is full of it. Posts on Mumsnet, posts on Facebook, I can't get away from it. My ds has had a dodgy tum this weekend and last night he woke up gagging, and I sat on the stairs outside the bedroom door while my dh comforted him. That should be me. I'm his mummy.

He goes to a baby music group on Wednesdays which he loves, and this Weds I don't want to take him in case he catches a bug. But he loves it so. How can I not let this horrendous phobia ruin my son's childhood? I don't know what else to do.

I hate myself for this. I'm going to hate it even more when he starts nursery.

What steps should I take to help myself? Feel like I've lost my way with it at the moment.

Hoophopes Tue 09-Oct-12 17:55:58

Hi - it does seem as if you have tried every therapy for this phobia. What does your dr suggest? I guess all children go through stages of vomitting, but they are usually ok - do you know what you are afraid of and then get treatment for that aspect. Sorry if I am saying the wrong thing. Helping yourself sounds the right thing, as I imagine illness will continue over the coming years as your ds strengthens his immune system and gets ill.

BeckyBendyLegs Wed 10-Oct-12 13:14:43

Hello I have this phobia too. I have three children aged 8, 6 and 2. The way I look at it is that I've made it through the last 8 years living with this, coping during the bad times (and you will cope because you just do, despite the strong desire to run away and hide), dealing with the sickness bugs (which I have caught off the DSs but I haven't been sick). You are not alone. This fear is more common than I ever thought. I didn't even know there was word for it before I had DS1. So sorry you are feeling low about this now. This time of year is hard sad

BeckyBendyLegs Wed 10-Oct-12 14:10:34

I've just checked facebook and one of the mums from my DSs' school has posted this 'Eww :s every1s got sickness bugs at the min!! Keep ya germies 2 urself people... I DON'T want it!! I'm partyin this weekend and if I av 2 go out wit a sick bucket in my bag... I will :D'. It is posts like that that make my stomach lurch in panic sad

amillionyears Wed 10-Oct-12 15:38:22

If it is not too difficult a question,which part of it are you most frightened of?

And I did realise a few hours after I posted on your other thread,that you have a fear of it. I thought you were just concerned about whether it was a bug going round,or something else.
I dont think many people will have heard the word Emetophobia.
fwiw,my mum is always a bit ooh about people being sick.Didnt realise till your post yesterday that she had a bit of a problem about it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now