Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

What has made you anxious today?

(41 Posts)
alwaysworriedtoo Wed 03-Oct-12 20:24:41

Just thought i'd start this as I felt I was begining to hijack another thread, And I don't swear easily!
O.K my list from 4pm.
1/ steaming with h2o cleaner= small/ tiny ammount of water noticed in pipe =leagionaires. (NOT LIKELYa#if there was achance of this theere would be a warning on the box. b#steam is Boiling, will kill stuff. c#if i do get it,ive no underlying health issues so would recover)
2/Fork fell out of the pan onto the hob, I couldn't use it again so put it in wash.
3/Tub used to rinse a certain swimsuit out in went into the bin.=when got back in washed hands=antibaced key and door handle= washed hands.
4/Pannick I forgot what time I was supposed to put DH tea on (he works late) =panick over I remebered there was still time.
5/Plate feels like its got a slick coating=what is it?=condensation?=the varnish coming off because it is an old plate and it shouldnt be in the dish washer and now its coming off?...
6/Did I cook the samosas for long enough/ are they cooked properly?
7/Did DD wash her hands after pulling at socks and messing with feet before she ate that chocolate?

Did I really need to get worked up over any of that?
hmm

alwaysworriedtoo Wed 03-Oct-12 20:25:44

(should have said -noticed in pipe left over from last time I used it a few weeks ago)
Like it Matters!

KeemaNaanAndCurryOn Wed 03-Oct-12 20:27:34

1. DH talking about work as he may get made redundant in the next couple of weeks. They've already laid off 22 staff. His area is next.
2. The thought of going into work tomorrow.
3. Getting a burn on my new jumper.

The last one actually gave me the most anxiety. <sigh>

tutu100 Wed 03-Oct-12 20:30:42

See I would say you don't need to get worked up over any of that (and it sounds like you did a great job not to). However today I have got anxious over:-

Walking 10 houses up to my SIL house to collect something (nearly came home when I got to her door, but managed to get what I went for).

Had a panic attack out of the blue at the thought of being on my own with the children for another 3 hours (DP is working later than normal).

Keep having sudden moments of really severe anxiety as I'm worried I'm suddenly going to feel so dizzy I won't be able to stand up and that feeling will never go away.

I'm having a very difficult day and starting to think I need to go back on anti-depressants, but I'm trying to stay positive (inbetween panic attacks).

Is it OCD you suffer with or anxiety?

alwaysworriedtoo Wed 03-Oct-12 20:45:17

Both! I have to stop myself sometimes from counting out how many times I have swished water around a cup hmm

alwaysworriedtoo Wed 03-Oct-12 20:48:46

Getting redundancy is something real to worry about. Just that shows how stupid my stuff is.

everythingpasses Wed 03-Oct-12 21:51:23

alwaysworriedtoo - I have just read a couple of threads that you were in, about the swimming costume and how anxious it made you feel. It really sounds like you have GAD with OCD traits. I really think you would benefit from going to your GP to discuss how you're feeling as it must be awful for you.

My reaction to the swimming costume would have been , 'eugh, that's a bit manky, I just paid for that'. Then I would have bunged it in the wash with whatever other clothes needed going on, washed it and forgot it had ever happened. I don't know if that's the "normal" reaction, but what I do know is that any risks related to any germs/contamination on your swimming costume/plates/door handle are insignificant compared to the very real risk of this anxiety/OCD to your health.

Please go and seek support sooner rather than later x

keekeeblue Thu 04-Oct-12 10:11:13

Hi Always

Good idea - new thread!!

Anxious about my mouth being swollen for last 10 days - have medicine but doesn't seem to be working. Anxious about having to go back to the doctors tomorrow. Feel like the doctor thinks I am a complete idiot (I hope he doesn't). He probably just thinks the ADs aren't working!!!

Anxious about going clothes shopping with my friend on Monday!!!! I hat clothes shopping and driving to places I don't know.

Cooked chicken breasts yesterday - spent the evening feeling sick and wondering whether I'd give the family food poisoning.

Anxious about going food shopping tomorrow - think of all those germs on the shopping trolley handle!!

KeemaNaanAndCurryOn Thu 04-Oct-12 12:47:00

I'm really sorry if my post made you feel bad. I didn't say it to make you feel stupid about what your anxieties are, but you asked 'what has made you anxious today' and that was on my list.

I was more stressed out about the burn on my jumper - as I said above.

BeckyBendyLegs Thu 04-Oct-12 13:10:01

In no particular order:
1. I was anxious this morning about what craft activity to arrange for the toy library I volunteer at.
2. I'm worried that I haven't got enough work today = not earning enough money (I'm freelance).
3. Worrying about doing enough of my foundation degree homework before next week, worried that what I have done isn't good enough.
4. Worried about running out of butter, will I have time to go to Asda to get more (Asda is our 'local shop' believe it or not).
5. I have a big worry at the moment, to do with DH, we've been through a bit of a trauma, and that's always on my mind every waking hour.
6. Anxious that it is sick bug season now and worried one of my DSs will pick one up.
7. Going on holiday at half term with 17 children and 3 friends, so anxious I haven't time to get ready for it (as I work and go to college and have 3 children myself).
8. My brother is having a op on his brain on Monday, worried about that and about my poor mum who is in her 70s and she's worried about him (it's not a major op but they keep delaying it).

That's about it. Perhaps they are more 'worries' than things that have made me anxious? I actually feel better for writing down my anxieties / worries.

Crawling Thu 04-Oct-12 13:35:26

Got my DC3 appointment for MMR causing major anxiety.

Got DC2s appointment with pediatrician, which is on my birthday.

My new car has come I passed my test Friday it now feels very intimidating like it is going to bite me. Very scared as it needs petrol and I have never done this.

I am starting olanzapine tonight, while breastfeeding, and read of one solitary case when a breastfed toddler started behaving aggressive and then was unable to rouse from sleep. Also read the patient leaflet stupid stupid mistake, saw it sais very very rare side effect is unexplained death. Also saw it says do not take with tranquilisers as they make you drowsy which I also take and have been told to keep on taking. Also saw they make low blood pressure worse and may cause dizziness and fainting (I have low blood pressure anyway) worried I will faint and the kids will be left alone. They also said about they might cause diabetes (lots of family history) and blood disorders I am iron anemic and b12 and folic acid defficent.

alwaysworriedtoo Thu 04-Oct-12 14:47:16

Keemanaanandcurryon, its ok. Reading other peoples anxieties just made me realise I don't really need to worry over the stuff I do.I didn't mean to make you feel bad either!
Everythingpasses, thank you! I know I will have to go to g.p at some point but am putting it off...I know I shouldn't but I really am hoping I can 'mend' myself, I have given myself a sort of deadline of a couple of months and if I am no better or have become worserer(!)I will force myself to go.I have made the first step of this process by mentioning to d.h, 'if this gets anyworse I am going to doctors' So because its being said I must stick to it! Your reaction to the swimming costume is probably what sane people do!
Keekeeblue I sypathise.(we are all fine today as well so food must have been cooked properly) and shopping trolleys = handgel.
thanks to all posters this is theraputic. today have only had a couple of wobbles up to now.
1/Im sweating too much I'll stink at work =So what if I stink I'll just wash my armpits in the washroom and not put my arms up.Frown over.(Yeah!)and I didn't smell either)
2/dealing with a blood/first aid situation I walked around afterwards with myhands spreadeagled in front of me until I could wash them.(I wore gloves but still felt dirty)
3/That child could bang their head doing that( I was riding past on my bike=There is an adult with them I am sure they know what they are doing=Not my responsobility) I almost rode back to check on child!WHAT! but instead I tried making up poetry
Hmm Hmm... Autumn is touching the leaves of the trees...
And I spent that long trying to ryhme something with trees that wasn't knees and made sense that I forgot about the child and when I did it wasn't with that awful tightening of the stomach.
So, so far so good!

alwaysworriedtoo Thu 04-Oct-12 14:50:09

Crawling, I hate side affects and medication angry Hugs to you.

keekeeblue Thu 04-Oct-12 16:21:43

An hour and a half gardening today, very relaxing and therapeutic (hope my plants don't die and my bulbs come up in spring!).

A very positive day today!!!!

Hugs to everyone x

alwaysworriedtoo Thu 04-Oct-12 20:41:51

Another wobble. I put a floor cleaning cloth in with the rest of the towels, has now been washed on 60 twice with prewash and extra rinse.
Its fine yes?

alwaysworriedtoo Fri 05-Oct-12 08:30:22

I realise I was a bit selfish last night.
My towels will be great.

KeeKee glad you had a good day, good for you!

Brightspark1 Fri 05-Oct-12 23:51:00

Beginning to realise that I'm not depressed, just anxious. DD has not SH for 4 months... Until last night. Got phone call today to say she was at A&E having cut her thigh, needed 8 stitches. Went to see her, said the right things, you're doing so well, this is not failure, just a blip, that I'm proud of her ... And just hugged her and listened. Non judgemental and supportive.
Now I'm left with that familiar feeling in stomach, shaky and trying not to cry. Sorry to hijack but needed to dump it somewhere as I need to be strong for DD

Startailoforangeandgold Fri 05-Oct-12 23:56:27

Horrendous multi storey car park.
DD2 getting in a panic we wouldn't find a space in said horrendous car park.

alwaysworriedtoo Sat 06-Oct-12 13:59:06

Feel free to unload on here. It is theraputic, I don't mind any hijacks at all brightspark. Hope you feel better soon and DD heals well.
Startail =-shudders-!
I think my major anxieties have peaked and seemed to be ebbing slightly now. I started reciting my times tables whenever I could feel the stomach trembles lurching into significance and I think I am actually starting to learn my 6 and 7 times tables!(i'm still not great on 8x!)

holstenlips Sat 06-Oct-12 22:19:59

would it be ok for me to unload my anxieties here? this episode has been a week or so..have had to leave work early twice due to crying..feel as if the world is ending..feel sick from the butterflies in my stomach..am losing control of everything it feels like. have obsessive thoughts convince myself of people trying to hurt me or telling me lies.
not on any meds but was prescribed seroquel. think im going to have to take them.

alwaysworriedtoo Sun 07-Oct-12 09:32:04

Holsten, you can unload as much as you like on here. Poor you.
Doesn't matter how long the post are either, just let it all go...
Hope you start to feel better soon.

holstenlips Sun 07-Oct-12 21:37:26

thank you..its been the week from hell. dont know if i can face work tomorrow. anxiety is crippling. i have seroquel but im putting off taking as it knocks me out and im a lone parent. noone to help with dd. she has been through the mill this week too. feeling a bit better than yesterday however.

Brightspark1 Sun 07-Oct-12 22:00:36

Please can anyone tell me how you manage to stop bursting into tears at the wrong time? I keep thinking I'm coping but I suddenly have days when I wake up feeling tearful, then it only takes someone criticising me or being kind and I just burst into tears. I have a responsible job where I manage a team of health professionals and I can't be spilling out everywhere. I keep feeling everyone sees me as a complete flake .
I'm not usually anxious, and don't sweat the small stuff, but I have such big stuff to worry about (DD's mental health) that I end up getting in astew about everything.

holstenlips Sun 07-Oct-12 22:07:29

sorry Brightspark..i wish i knew. last week i cried at my desk so many times. embarassing. i feel panicky at so much i have to do. am failing my dd. have decided to cut right back on everything and concentrate on being loving to my dd. shes 5 and as its just us two she bears the brunt of my anxiety. she said today im sorry for making you cry mummy :-( shes not at fault at all of course.

alwaysworriedtoo Mon 08-Oct-12 08:16:59

I know I probably can't help properly because I don't even know the answers for myself. But, have you considered having some time off sick? Even just a day. I know that it is not always possible and there is that guilt feeling. but I have done it before, told them I don't feel well, and had a bit of a me day. caught up with a few small housey jobs that were easily done but made a difference. Watched some t.v read a bit, had a weep now and again. It really helped and I felt able to go to work the next day. I didn't tell them what was really wrong though when I went back blush and told them I was feeling sick and headachey and getting stomach ache as well and didn't feel well enough to work blush grin
Oh and don't watch any adverts, just fast forward them or do something else when they come on. Even the andrex puppy toilet paper advert set me off!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now