Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

anti pychotics and breastfeeding?

(15 Posts)
Crawling Mon 01-Oct-12 11:51:10

anyone any experience of this?

KeemaNaanAndCurryOn Mon 01-Oct-12 12:31:41

You really need to check the information for whichever psychotic you're on as some do go into breastmilk and are probably not good if you are planning to breastfeed.

Best bet is to speak to your psych or GP to discuss it further.

Crawling Mon 01-Oct-12 12:37:29

I am breastfeeding but we held off on anti pychs as long as possible but they are needed, my pychiatrist wants me to take risperidone as its the safest in breastmilk, we discussed it and he gave me info on its use in nursing mums and I have seen lots of links with info on is, but I guess I just want to speak with someone who has taken them while nursing, so I will know that my baby will be okay.

Crawling Mon 01-Oct-12 12:40:09

Oh and I know Risperidone is a hard drug to tolerate but side effects dont bother me, I am not worried about thoose.

KeemaNaanAndCurryOn Mon 01-Oct-12 12:42:31

I'm not sure then. I stopped breastfeeding before I went back onto my meds as I just wasn't sure that it would be OK for them. I wonder if there's some info out there on how long it stays in your breastmilk after you take it as there may be a way to express instead?

Crawling Mon 01-Oct-12 12:47:19

That is another option yes my baby goes most of the night now, and I can take it then then express it off. There is limited info on anti pychs in feeding as although it is done there are no controlled studies about it.

KeemaNaanAndCurryOn Mon 01-Oct-12 15:18:22

I suppose its difficult for them to do studies as they can't potentially cause any adverse effects in babies, so they're stuck with anecdotal evidence.

Its a hard one isn't it?

Crawling Mon 01-Oct-12 18:03:01

Thank you, I suppose many would think I am insane (other than the insanity I need the meds for) if they knew the full circumstances for not just stopping feeding, but this illness has just taken and taken and taken since I was 13, and breastfeeding is important to me and I dont want to lose anything alse because of my illness, and I certainly dont want my children to lose for it.

KeemaNaanAndCurryOn Mon 01-Oct-12 20:16:34

I can sympathise as I bf my second DC and stayed off the meds until she was a year old. I then went a bit bonkers and ended up being hospitalised earlier this year!

Crawling Mon 01-Oct-12 20:59:51

Thanks keema my baby is 1 in two weeks, and thanks to brilliant support and regular checks I have also managed to get this far which I know is a huge achievement. I usually get pychosis on its own for a few weeks or months before I go manic, which has now started and I know if I dont go one the meds soon I will just walk out and not come home for weeks or get hospitalised. Which will be hard on my family.

Its good knowing others understand, I am sorry to hear you had to stop feeding and have had a relapse this year I hope you are feeling better now although if you are like me you are probably still recovering and feeling tired after the last episode as it was so recent.

KeemaNaanAndCurryOn Mon 01-Oct-12 21:26:43

In my case it was ADs that I was on. I ended up on Anti-psychotics after my inpatient stay when I was diagnosed with BP2.

It was hard on my DCs and DH being away for so long and I'm just working on keeping myself out of there, hopefully forever. I don't regret it though as I loved Bf'ing. It didn't work out with my first DC as he was in the SCBU and I just couldn't get it to work. It was very cathartic for it to work the second time.

Crawling Tue 02-Oct-12 14:47:37

I am type 1 but I have very good news my CPN has just dropped a prescription off for five mg olanzapine and my doctor discussed this with the pharmacist and they decided this was safe and I can still breastfeed just need to take them last thing at night and express a feed off grin, and to add that to my list of medications see how things go with that and then probably increase my dose in a few weeks.

KeemaNaanAndCurryOn Tue 02-Oct-12 14:55:20

Yay! Thats brilliant news! smile

Crawling Tue 02-Oct-12 15:07:05

Thank you I am glad things worked out with the feeding for you second time and that you manage to not have to be readmitted, and thank you for your support smile.

Crawling Tue 02-Oct-12 15:07:59

Sorry that should be hope that you manage to not be readmitted.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now