Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

How can I improve my self esteem?

(5 Posts)
Lightlygrilledandsmokinghot Wed 26-Sep-12 12:51:32

Any advice would be much appreciated. Counselling and CBT has helped but not enough :-(

chelseamorning Wed 26-Sep-12 12:56:41

I'm sorry you feel this way. Do you have any time to volunteer for an hour or so each week, in a sector that interests you? Helping others may help you to feel better. Big hug. X

amillionyears Wed 26-Sep-12 20:08:14

This issue keeps coming up on here and on the relationships boards.
I always imagine there are a lot of self help books about this,but never looked into it.
Would your counsellor,and where you go for CBT be able to recommend some?

And if you do end up finding some,perhaps you could come back and recommend them to others.Good luck.

On a different note.I guess it comes from learning to love yourself.Which may be difficult to do for some people.Might it be helpful to keep discreet notes around the house saying things like,I am a worthwhile person,my opinions are important,I do matter etc.

Showtime Sat 29-Sep-12 23:37:28

Family member had book recommended by psychiatrist:-
Overcoming Low Self-Esteem by Melanie Fennell, £10.99 Amazon paperback, £2 charity shop (I found it for him).
Hope you soon feel better.

WithanAnotE Thu 04-Oct-12 20:34:50

Are you able to pay for private sessions? I know The Priory run a six session course on at c£140 a pop (not been on this particular one but other courses have been brilliant) or may be find cheaper through a private therapist.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now