Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Pregnancy vs citalopram

(6 Posts)
dysx8 Mon 24-Sep-12 19:43:07

Is there anyone pregnant or had a baby whilst on citalopram? Safe or better to be left alone whilst I'm pregnant/breast feeding?

narmada Mon 24-Sep-12 23:38:15

Not me, but my friend has had two babies while on Sertraline, BF them both too. I BF dd for 2 years on sertraline.

One for an antenatal psychiatry-type person I think: Does that profession even exist?!?!?!?!

dysx8 Tue 25-Sep-12 10:19:44

Thanks. I had a little look online and generally it's not recommended,so I'll try to face the pregnancy without it, cold turkeysmile Wish me luck!

narmada Tue 25-Sep-12 12:34:08

please don't make the decision to come off meds without docs input tho will you?? in lots of cases the benefits of being medicated outweigh risks.

narmada Tue 25-Sep-12 12:35:46

cold turkey withdrawal from SSRI s is not particularly pleasant either. better to taper...

Noomininoo Fri 28-Sep-12 22:35:17

I took Citalopram throughout both of my pregnancies (10mg every other day for my first & 10mg a day during my 2nd) & both of my DDs seem perfectly happy healthy, normal kids. I didn't really get on with bfing so only managed 4 weeks for my 1st & just over a week for my 2nd (although I expressed & combination fed up till they were about 4 months).

I did try to come off it before I got pregnant but everytime I tried my depression & anxiety just came back with a vengeance so I had a word with my GP & he said that , as I was on a fairly low dose, it should be relatively safe to try for a baby.

Good luck with whatever you decide...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now