Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Husband going away

(11 Posts)
cheekypickle Thu 20-Sep-12 15:35:46

Husband is going away to Germany for 5 days leaving me with DS 15yrs and DD 13months.

I feel very overwhelmed and wonder how I will cope. I've gotten over feeling anxious but feel its creeping back

madeindevon2 Thu 20-Sep-12 15:36:58

5 days or 5 months?

Numberlock Thu 20-Sep-12 15:38:21

Well let's think about the practical things, cheeky.

What can you do to prepare in advance to make things run as smoothly as possible (eg making sure you are fully stocked with food and supplies) and what things will you have to do that he would normally do?

What are the things that worry you the most about these 5 days?

cheekypickle Thu 20-Sep-12 15:40:45

I worry about being tired.

cheekypickle Thu 20-Sep-12 15:41:20

God Id go to pieces if it was for 5 months sad

Numberlock Thu 20-Sep-12 15:43:43

So presumably your son will be at school. Is your daughter at home with you during the day?

Your son is old enough to help out in the evenings with chores and can keep an eye on his sister while you have a nap. You can prepare meals now to freeze and defrost on the day so you won't have to do any cooking.

Do you have parents or friends nearby?

cheekypickle Thu 20-Sep-12 15:45:37

Yes she's with me during the day. She only sleeps for 45 minutes during the day ! (fantastic 11 hours sleep at night) so can't complain.
Seeing my mum on Saturday all day

roundtoit Thu 20-Sep-12 15:47:34

It can be scary at first but you can manage, you have given birth twice if you can do that you can manage 5 days on your own with the DCs . Make some meals for the freezer and get caught up on all the little jobs you wanted to do ie sort out toys, cupboards etc, then when he is away take a brake and just enjoy your kids , before you know it he will be back with a bag of washing and hopefully a little gift for you. you are stronger than you think , you can do this.

Numberlock Thu 20-Sep-12 15:49:20

So he's away over the weekend, OP, when does he go?

I suggest going to bed when your daughter does a couple of nights, your 15 year old can look after himself. And even a power nap during her 45 minute nap will give you a boost.

It's good that you've got a day with your mum, that's one less day to fill, could you stay overnight as well?

cheekypickle Sat 22-Sep-12 18:21:36

One more day to go! Hasnt been too bad. DS has been sweet and helped put DD to bed. Can't wait for husband to get back!!

Numberlock Sat 22-Sep-12 18:49:31

Glad it's gone well and your son's helped out. Often things aren't as bad as we fear, are they? Hopefully you will feel less anxious next time now you know you have coped.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now