Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Constant bad/negative thoughts

(3 Posts)
PiedWagtail Mon 17-Sep-12 22:21:33

Does anyone else have this? I worry constantly about bad things happening to us/the children - I go and check that the children are breathing 4 times between them going to bed and me going to bed; I worry about them dying in car crashes. accidents, plane crashes, terrorist attacks - you name it. I worry about me dying and them having to live without me.

It's pretty horrible. I seem to cry at everything, and everything seems very negative. Is this anxiety, depresssion, normal or something else? Everyone else seems so carefree and I just can't understand it. There are so many things that could go wrong.

purplepenguin86 Mon 17-Sep-12 23:00:19

It sounds like there could be some OCD type thought patterns going on there, and certainly anxiety. I am not usually a fan, but this is the sort of thing that could be really helped by CBT - it can be very good for changing negative thought patterns like this. There are some websites based on CBT, or you could get some help through IAPT, or book some sessions with a counsellor who uses CBT. I definitely think it would be worth giving it a go, as this is just the sort of thing that CBT seems to have the best results in.

PiedWagtail Fri 21-Sep-12 16:20:12

Thanks pengiun. Saw GP today and have been diagnosed with anxiety hmm. Did the anxiety and depression questionnaires and the depression one was OK but I ticked all the boxes on the anxiety one. Oh dear. She is referring me for counselling - CBT. Thanks smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now