Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Mirtazapine. Any good for anxiety?

(16 Posts)
orangeandlemons Tue 22-May-12 14:03:16

Just looking for other users and experiences.

I have had some terrible terrible experiences with other ad's and anxiety side effects. TBH they weren't side effects, they just raised the levels of anxiety to terror levels, and it never went away until I came off the drugs.

I am also suffering from anxietysad I cannot take any ssri's, imipramine or trazadone. They have all made me much much worse, well past the time lag for the start up effects. Was nearly hospitalised after 3 months of trazadone, and pretty close after 7 weeks sertraline.

Have been on 15mg mirtazapine for 2 weeks. Mood has lifted quite a lot. Anxiety has come down after hell on sertraline, BUT IS STILL THERE. Gp has raised dose to 30mg. Is it likely to work against frigging anxiety?

Please please don't suggest other Ad's to me. I know you will be only trying to help, but this is like a last chance saloon for me, gp and psysch. I think we are all sick of me.

The only ones I have left to take are paroxetineor duloxetine which both have the word SRI in them, and therefore are spawn of the devil afaiac.

Have had better response to TCa's but they all make me eat my head off. I know mirtazapine also does this, but GP says it isn't as bad as tca's in her experience. Anyway, I don't really care about eating atm, I just want to know does it work against anxiety

Julialyne Tue 22-May-12 14:49:51

Just to let you know that this will make you crave lots of sugary things & will make you out on a lot of weight. It's used for severe depression & is taken at night as it makes you very drowsy. I was in it for a few weeks but it made my depression worse. I felt good for 10 days then I just crashed. I'm not sure how it works for anxiety. I am very sensitive to side effects & I have tried loads if different ones. 75mg of Sertraline & 2.5mg of Olanzapine which is a mood stabiliser works for me.

orangeandlemons Tue 22-May-12 16:19:31

It hasn't made me overeat so far, but I guess I am only a low dose.

I have given up caring about overaeating, I have been ill for 6 months and just want to get better.

Amitriptyline and chlomipramine both made me eat. I can control overeating to some extent, just want anxiety to go away. A long way away.

orangeandlemons Tue 22-May-12 16:28:26

Anyone?

orangeandlemons Tue 22-May-12 17:37:14

No one. Only me and my anxietyand semi useful mirtazapine then

ChiefPotterer Tue 22-May-12 19:36:20

Stick with it-I found it excellent for both depression and anxiety-it has taken me from the darkest most frantic spell of my life back to normality!. It took about two weeks to kick in and I felt pretty rough for those two weeks but it is worth sticking with it. I would try and stay on the 30mg for now as that is the therapeutic dose and is probably what you been to eradicate the anxiety-I wouldn't worry i. the slightest about putting on weight! after having anxiety and depression that was not a concern of mine...just getting through day to day and beginning to enjoy life again was my main concern. Best of luck Mirtazapine has been a lifesaver for me I hope it helps you too.

ChiefPotterer Tue 22-May-12 19:37:40

*need to eradicate! (not been)-apologies on phone!.

orangeandlemons Tue 22-May-12 19:42:08

Mood has lifted quite dramatically tbh, but anxiety still there.

Thanks you have given me hope. Sitting her struggling to breathe, teeth clenched, but feel quite happy and motivated.

Makes me a bit irritable though, but that may be the anx again.

ChiefPotterer Wed 23-May-12 13:52:06

Give it a couple of weeks on the 30mg-if you still don't feel great you may need to go back to GP. I remember the side effects well but mine totally disappeared within about 10 days-I also had irritability but it went. All the best really hope it works for you.

HypercriticalOaf Thu 24-May-12 10:41:29

I started on 15mg and on the first night slept for ten hours (usually manage five at most) ...but got up three times during the night to eat!

orangeandlemons Thu 24-May-12 16:28:16

Appetite hasn't been too bad, sleep is OK, but not brilliant. Definitely feel better though

ChiefPotterer Thu 24-May-12 17:03:26

Glad to hear you are feeling a bit better orangandlemons. My psychiatrist told me that yes appetite does increase with this AD but its up to you to be sensible and eat as normally and healthy as you can-I had gotten so skinny through inability to eat or sleep so I was glad of some weight gain!.

Phoenixroxy Sun 27-Nov-16 11:07:06

Hi I've just come off sertraline, before that delixotine, low doses..2 weeeks now without any antidepressant..anxiety through the roof, sleep, none..they want to put me on venlafaxine..I'm terrified..as my body's shaking now and although they're starting me on a low dose! I'm useless with meds..help please?

Phoenixroxy Sun 27-Nov-16 11:10:50

Is there anybody on here? How are you getting on please? X

Inmyownlittlecorner Sun 27-Nov-16 11:18:01

I've got nothing helpful to add, but just wanted to say hope you find something that works. flowers

Ineverpromisedyouarosegarden Sun 27-Nov-16 11:29:10

Just to highlight this is a ZOMBIE thread.

Hope everyone is getting the support they need flowers

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now