Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Referred to Mental Health team, please help.

(16 Posts)
Grockle Tue 03-Apr-12 15:16:53

What happens? Who will I see? What will they do? Will SS be notified? (am lone parent)

Obviously, I should have asked GP but it was all a bit quick and I didn't think to ask.

Loopymumsy Tue 03-Apr-12 15:33:47

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Grockle Tue 03-Apr-12 15:37:10

Community, I think not crisis. I'm ok and DS is not in danger. I'm just fed up with things and my GP seems to be at a loss. It's just a bit scary. I want to feel better but am tired of fighting.

I'm glad its been useful for you. Thank you for your help.

GetDownYouWillFall Tue 03-Apr-12 16:42:46

YY to all Loopy has said. They will assess you, and you will probably be assigned a CPN. You will see a psychiatrist periodically usually every 3 months but more frequently at first whilst they stabilise you on medication.

Please don't be scared of social services, they have the best interest of children at heart, and clearly it's best your DC stay with you. The CMHT will give you support and refer where appropriate, but you will be kept informed. It's best to be completely open and honest with them, then they will know you are working with them and not against them, which will be a much better, more trusting relationship all round.

Hope you start feeling better soon. Try not to feel scared, but rather to see it as a positive step on the road to recovery.

Grockle Tue 03-Apr-12 18:53:24

Thank you very much. I feel like being referred to them is proof that I am failing at everything, so it made me feel a bit defeated. I am sure they will help and it certainly can't hurt. I just worry.

Loopymumsy Tue 03-Apr-12 19:19:54

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

summer111 Tue 03-Apr-12 20:49:34

Grockle, please don't worry, this is the first step for you on your path to recovery. Depending on how mental health services operate in your area, you will most probably get a call from the assessment team who receive the referral and they will chat about what you feel your difficulties are. They may then invite you to come for an assessment which will address your history, current difficulties etc. From there, a decision can be made as to what help you need and by whom/ which team. Sometimes the team will just need to advise a GP re medication, for people who might have more complex issues or need more intervention it may be a referal to the Community Recovery Team, psychology, etc.
SS will only be contacted if it was felt that your child was at significant risk. A referral to mental health services does not automatically trigger a referral to SS so no need to be concerned about this.
Best of luck and no more worrying, you are just needing some support to get yourself back on track to the new improved Grockle smile

fluffydressinggown Wed 04-Apr-12 11:41:01

Grockle, when I was initially assessed I was referred to the IAPT team which offer low intensity work through the PCT, they were really nice and although ultimately not the right service for me because things escalated they helped me find the right services. Quite a few of my friends have been through a similar system (IAPT referal) and it has been really useful for them.

I have also seen the home intervention team / crisis team who are a lot more high intensity but still really lovely and supportive.

I suppose I just wanted to say that a referal is a positive things and IME they take a very softly softly patient led approach to find the right support for you.

fluffydressinggown Wed 04-Apr-12 11:41:50

Oh and not the same but I am a teacher and although I am (choosing) not to work at the moment, nobody has mentioned any worries about me working or being with children despite the fact that I am quite unwell at the moment.

Grockle Wed 04-Apr-12 12:35:49

Thank you - this is all reassuring, I think confused

What does IAPT mean?

Sorry you are so unwell atm, fluffy. I know it's miserable and scary. Thinking of you.

fluffydressinggown Wed 04-Apr-12 13:19:32

Improving access to psycjological therapies. Basically as far as i can tell it is to help people who have a milder our moderate mental health problem by giving them quicker access to services. It is time limited but like I say they did help me find the right services in the end.

For IAPT I had a phone assessment and then for the crisis team someone came to my house the day after I was referred to them. Have you had any contact yet? Thinking of you x

Grockle Wed 04-Apr-12 13:22:42

Thank you. I think it'll take weeks. I'm still waiting for my CBT to start and I had the initial assessment for that in January. Unless I do anything silly, I'll just have to hold tight and wait. Which is hard.

fluffydressinggown Wed 04-Apr-12 18:42:19

Grockle, you can contact the crisis team if you need to, if you feel unsafe contact them before you do something silly. I am speaking from experience, doing silly things is generally unpleasant and demoralising. Keep safe.

Grockle Wed 04-Apr-12 19:01:19

Thank you, I won't do something silly. It is just frustrating that without doing that, I have to wait so long for any kind of help. Hope you are ok fluffy.

fluffydressinggown Thu 05-Apr-12 00:27:40

It is ridiculous but if it is in your head you are entitled to support if it is causing you this much distress. What did your GP say? When I was initially referred in they did contact me very quickly, within a week or so I think so you might get a phone call soon.

Francesbee Thu 07-Jan-16 20:45:41

I am totally new to this but I have been referred to mental health and have been assigned a care officer and just wandered why I am being referred?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now