Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

dramatic weight loss on Reboxetine.

(5 Posts)
MrsHavisham Fri 24-Feb-12 20:06:12

I have been on a low dose of Reboxetine (AKA Endromax) for just over a year and have lost nearly 4 stone, over a quarter of my entire body weight, without dieting or exercising or anything like that. Anyone else on it? Have googled but not found any info.

madmouse Fri 24-Feb-12 20:14:25

I just googled and easily found information! Apparently it is due to it being an NRI rather than an SSRI and once you stop taking it the weight will normally return.

''An NRI acts on Norepinephrine (Noradrenaline) and Epinephrine (Adrenaline) and tend to cause significant gastrointestinal side effects including nausea and diarrhea. The persistent gastrointestinal effects are considered to promote weight loss. NRIs are used in the clinical treatment of attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD); narcolepsy; to decrease fatigue or lethargy as stimulants; obesity or an appetite suppressant for weight loss; for mood disorders; depression; nasal or sinus congestion as a decongestant; bedwetting; hypotension (low blood pressure); or to offset the side effects of other drugs that cause sexual dysfunction.''

MrsHavisham Fri 24-Feb-12 22:50:49

Thanks, i didn't realise about it being an NRI. I appreciate the info.

Maeb Sat 22-Sep-12 12:33:33

I was on this for 6 months a couple of years ago. I lost 1.5 stone (I was only 8.5 to begin with).

I had no appetite as nearly everything made me feel nauseous, cheese, driving, nice scented shampoos, body lotions.

I wasn't too sure of the efficacy either, has it made a difference for you?

I've just read this in the Guardian regarding reboxetine among other drugs:

www.guardian.co.uk/business/2012/sep/21/drugs-industry-scandal-ben-goldacre

narmada Mon 24-Sep-12 23:41:03

Yes I read that Ben Goldacre story about reboxetine.

I have never been on that one, I have been on the fat-inducing ones, ugh.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now