Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

tapering off Amitriptyline

(6 Posts)
tryinghardtogetmoving Sun 23-Oct-11 16:44:06

I have been on 10mg for headaches for several years but I can't bear the weight gain anymore. Have any of you come off amitriptyline without major withdrawal symptons? If so what was your approach.

I am planning to taper but my GP says just stop but I know that is not the right thing to do for me.

NanaNina Sun 23-Oct-11 16:50:55

I'm on imipramine which is a tryclic like amitripyline and 10 mg is a very low dose. I'm not sure you could get the tabs in a 5 mg - suppose you could cut your 10 mg in half. Are you sure it is the AD that is causing weight gain? Sorry don't mean to sound mean or anything. Anyway if you look on the thread about 4 lines down from yours (can't remember the thread title but it's a long one and is asking if anyone will hold her hand) there is a post on the 1st page of that thread from Strawberry who gives a link to Amazon, a book entitled "Coming off ADs" written by a Dr.

tryinghardtogetmoving Sun 23-Oct-11 16:58:32

Yes unfortunately I am pretty sure it is the amitriptyline. Nothing else has changed (except getting older of coursegrin). I have never put on weight been around 9 stone all my adult life, run a bit and exercise daily but have now put on a stone and a half and still gaining. Diet is the same and same amount of exercise.

Thanks I will go and look at the other thread.

I am guessing that you are not having side effects from your medication?

NanaNina Sun 23-Oct-11 17:26:12

No, no side effects but I have frequent "blips" (meaning I drop into a depressive state again) and this has been going on since last Easter when I had a major episode of depression and was in a psych ward for 3 months. They come without any warning - can be ok for 3/4/5 weeks and then one comes along - they last on average about 6 days - means I can't make plans as I never know will I wake in the morning how I will be.

I think no one can understand this illness until they have experienced it and give me something physical any day - at least people understand that.

NanaNina Sun 23-Oct-11 17:30:16

Sorry - only just realised you don't suffer from depression! Seems a strange drug to take for headaches. What sort of headaches are they. I struggled with migraine for years until I was prescribed sumatriptan (brand name Imigran) and it changed my life - previously I would wake up with one and have to leave work at lunchtime and lie in a dark room till the next day. With the sumatriptan I am clear of one in 2 hours. They are not pain killers, they act on reducing the swelling in the membranes around the brain which causes the migraine.

tryinghardtogetmoving Sun 23-Oct-11 17:44:05

I do realise how lucky I am not to get clinical depression I can't imagine how you cope with it and the uncertainty must be so wearying and frightening. I really hope something can be done to help you with "blips".

My plight seems very small in contrast as I was prescribed it for migraines - I had tried other more traditional medication but nothing seemed to shift them and they became debilitating. Amitriptyline has worked a bit but if I stop it I will find out how much!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now