Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Saying wrong word - caused by stress?

(7 Posts)
redheart Sun 23-Oct-11 08:42:33

Wondered if anyone knew much about this. As a bit of background, i've been through what some might call a stressful few months. Had to move from a house I loved ( not out of choice) and have had to readjust to things. Can't go past the old house without crying, so wonder if I am in some way subconciously grieving for the old house and my life there ( sounds stupid I know). Also had to have some investigations over the summer ( same time as moving), luckily all came back clear and I am fine but was a very worrying time. There have been some other stressful things going on too, I won't go into it all, but think it's all built up, last week I was very emotional one lunch hour at work, so I think things are affecting me a bit.

Just want to start off by saying, I don't feel conciously stressed but I have noticed a few times in the last few weeks, I've either said the wrong thing e.g. when I went to a meeting they asked me where I worked and I gave the name of somewhere I did a placement a few years ago! I corrected myself within a second, so I didn't technically forget, well only for a second! Plus I got some book ends the other day and asked my friend if she liked my new book marks! Again, with a second I said "bookends" but not sure why I made these mistakes in the first place. Plus other little things like saying the wrong word... e.g. I meant to say "Furnish" a house and I said "furbish" ( I was probably thinking of re-furbishing and it came out wrong. And a few little things like that or maybe taking a second longer to say/think of something.

I am wondering if this could be caused by stress, maybe how my stress is showing as I wouldn't say I feel stressed at all! ( but clearly I am).

I am under 30 so not age related and not pregnant so not that. I am worrying myself silly. Anyone have any ideas or know what I can do? ( Besides stop worrying!)

Thank you for reading, I know it is a long post smile

ttalloo Sun 23-Oct-11 09:04:04

Hi redheart

What you describe sounds like what I went through about eight years ago. I was having difficulty remembering the right word I wanted to use, or would say pepper when I meant salt. I felt incoherent and foggy and was convinced I was suffering from a brain tumour (I didn't have headaches).

I was referred to a neurologist, who ran an MRI scan that came back fine, and did lots of cognitive tests on me (word recognition, word association, memory tests). His conclusion was that there was nothing physically wrong with me, but that my problems were down to stress.

At the time I'd been through two MC and was struggling to conceive - I did feel as I was going demented with the strain of it - so he recommended counselling to help me cope. I had about a year of it, and it really helped. As did knowing that I wasn't about to die of a hideous brain disease.

So, given that you have had a very stressful time of it recently, it's very possible that your word confusion is down to the strain you are under. You would probably feel better, though, if you go to your GP and talk about the problems you are having to see if you can get referred to a neurologist, just for peace of mind, and/or try getting some counselling to talk through what you have been through.

Hope this has helped, and you feel better very soon.

redheart Sun 23-Oct-11 09:08:36

Thank you. Good to know that this sort of thing can be caused by stress. knowing someone else had something similar makes me less worried. I haven't got a GP at the moment as we moved to far away to keep our old GP and I haven't registered with the new one yet.

madmouse Sun 23-Oct-11 09:17:46

You mean you don't normally do these things??? - Most of us do, and I bet you do too, you're just watching yourself more closely than normal.

I was stressed recently and answered the phone at work with the wrong company name, a year after joining. And I'm forever muddling the words braces and splints (my son has botn!).

You will probably find you've always done it but they may just be a bit more frequent because of stress. And now you're worried about it you are watching yourself even more. Doesn't sound like anything is wrong.

AlixDee212 Tue 25-Oct-11 15:08:52

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

AlpinePony Tue 25-Oct-11 15:20:36

Oh completely. Words all jumbled and co-ordination goes to pot, I drop things, can't use cutlery properly. A step further is an inability to co-ordinate an outfit - I know that sounds a bit simple, but the next time you see someone in a wrap dress, cowboy boots and bomber jacket - don't think she's homeless, she might just be under stress! wink

AlixDee212 Tue 25-Oct-11 15:25:10

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now