Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

'Mad Not Bad' Website

(8 Posts)
ThatsNotYours Thu 20-Oct-11 21:58:01

Of interest? X
www.madnotbad.co.uk/bytopic/content_main.htm

Ineversignedupforthis Fri 21-Oct-11 07:15:36

Interesting...strokes chin. Will come back tothis and read more when I'm less sleep deprived. Bizarrely, about the time you were posting this, I was having a RL convo about a psychiatrist who used the opposite phrase almost (You can be bad as welll as mad) to describe someone's bad behaviour, or at least the part of it that he felt was behavioural and not soley down to the diagnosis.

madmouse Fri 21-Oct-11 07:26:35

Have to admit to annoyance - as an abuse survivor, please enlighten me what is either mad or bad about being abused.

NanaNina Fri 21-Oct-11 16:11:24

Nice to "see" you on a post Madmouse as haven't noticed you on MH threads for a while. Hope you are ok?

I had a quick look at the link but it irritated me a bit for some reason. I hate bad and mad. However a very close friend of mine is an art therapist who works with people with enduring mental health problems in a studio. She used the word mad the other day and I was shocked. She said it was ok now to use it - it's "out there" (whatever that means) and the studio feel that it is a place where people can be mad.........it was a phone call so will ask her more when I see here. I wonder if it's like the word "nigger" being re-claimed by African and African Caribbean people but with a positive meaning.

Still seems a big strange to me. The one word I do hate is "mental" and in the Guardian last week there was a moving account of a parent's grief on the death of a baby but many years ago, so grief not raw. She talked of all the crass things that people say e.g. "Oh really, my friend's baby died" and "Oh well it could be worse" can't remember the others, but the mother then went on to say "to be honest I think we were mental for the first 5 years" I have written to the Guardian about this but don't suppose will get letter printed.

Sorry I'm rambling on.............................

QueenofJacksDreams Fri 21-Oct-11 16:16:33

Madmouse it seems to be about MH issues caused by abuse rather than excusing abuse with MH issues.

madmouse Fri 21-Oct-11 17:15:10

NanaNina I'm very well thanks - am supporting a few fellow survivors in real life so limiting what I do on here. I saw you mentioned me on your blips thread but I have nothing to offer there I'm afraid because I've somehow always carreered through my blips, not that healthy either I'm sure

Queen, yes I get that but the term mad for mental health issues is offensive and the word 'bad' in terms of my childhood has very heavy connotations.

ThatsNotYours Fri 21-Oct-11 20:57:02

Did anyone get past the web title?
I think it might be meant to be ironical. 
Some really interesting accounts, not sorry some of you are so offended by the title.
The author was profiled in the UK press broadsheets last year, but shoot me down in flames for trying here....

madmouse Fri 21-Oct-11 21:09:49

Nobody is shoothing anyone down in flames here - but I asked for an explanation. And the irony escapes me.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now