Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Is it normal to go on the internet more when feeling low or depressed?

(25 Posts)
marykat2004 Tue 18-Oct-11 21:31:40

I'm not sure if the wording of that question is correct, but I know that I seem to look at message boards, and post on message boards, when I'm feeling low. When I'm feeling happy and well I don't look at the internet at all. If I'm feeling well I tend to meet friends more, or watch tv, or, I don't know, talk to my DH or something like that in the evenings. It's just I find myself on this website in particular when I'm feeling down. I'm not sure if that's a good thing or not.

Is anyone else like this?

SugarSkyHigh Tue 18-Oct-11 21:34:24

yes I am definitely like this. Have been spending a lot of time looking at MN recently and I;m really quite low ATM. At other times I do tend to meet people for coffee etc.

JosieRosie Tue 18-Oct-11 21:34:40

Me too marykat2004! Especially when I'm anxious, that's usually when I end up posting in AIBU or similar. I like having access to loads of people's opinions and input, so many more people than you could have access to in real life. AIBU can be downright bloody vicious though so I often regret posting in the first place!

Justonecheese Tue 18-Oct-11 21:41:04

Interesting you should say that, I think I am on here more when am low. I posted in AIBU when feeling v low and won't ever be doing that again!

marykat2004 Tue 18-Oct-11 21:45:48

Yes I am just discovering that there are lots of other topics, it seems that AIBU is really popular but a lot of questions are better off being posted under other topics, unless you want to throw yourself to the lions and get extra miserable confused.

JosieRosie Tue 18-Oct-11 21:48:16

Maybe we need a AIBU-but-please-be-gentle topic so you can ask for advice but not get savaged in the process!

Arcadia Thu 20-Oct-11 14:46:00

I got one really nasty reply when I posted in employment issues when really stressed and unhappy in my old job - I only feel safe on here and on Behaviour/Development one which is really good when DD is playing up. I do come on here a lot more when not feeling so good.

Ineversignedupforthis Sun 23-Oct-11 06:45:05

I do...but second Arcadia. The downside is you can get unpleasant responses, when you are quite vulnerable. The hide thread button is you friend. Read the replies to date, scan over IPOAT (thanks for that abbreviation Hecate) and move on. Then get yourself a
wine or brew

Arcadia Sun 23-Oct-11 08:14:14

I was so upset that I asked for the thread to be deleted! Luckily I was using a different name (not that it really matters I suppose).
What is IPOAT?

ParsleyTheLioness Sun 23-Oct-11 08:18:04

Idiots posting on a thread.

PrinceRogersNelson Sun 23-Oct-11 09:30:12

Yes definitely. And it is a vicious circle. Being on here makes me more depressed and removed from my family.

So I am now going to switch it off!

NanaNina Sun 23-Oct-11 17:36:42

Yes Yes and Yes again. Mind I have to say that the MH thread has got me through many a dark hour or two as I struggle to make a full recovery from a major episode of depression last year. I go on fostering & adoption as am retired social worker and step-parents, cus I'm one of those as well. My IT skills are limited so I have no idea about the hide thread thing someone mentioned.

When I am having depressed days I don't want to interact with anyone (not really any good to anyone anyway) so MN is a good way of interacting without having to see anyone. I think it can get a bit addicitive though.

yellowraincoat Sun 23-Oct-11 17:38:10

Yes, definitely. When I'm feeling bad, I am online all day. It's mind-numbing/safe. Would like to not though...

Madlizzy Sun 23-Oct-11 17:47:17

Most definitely. It's a way of shutting off from the real world. Not entirely a healthy way either.

No. It's Insane People On A Thread. grin

And they are grin

oh, and yes. When I am low I retreat into myself. Don't want to talk to anyone in rl, don't want to engage with anyone in rl but will sit here for hours 'talking' into my computer.

It is the worst thing you can do. If at all possible, you have to find a way to ease up a bit.

NanaNina Sun 23-Oct-11 22:51:25

Am I being oversensitive Hectate at your "joke" about "Insane People on a Thread" - it's just that so many people think in terms of people being insane or mad that even as a joke it jars a bit.

I'm not sure why everyone is saying it isn't healthy to be on line when we are low - as far as I'm concerned anything that helps is fine and as I said it has got me through many a dark hour.

It wasn't a joke about this thread if that's what you mean. It was a reply to this

Arcadia Sun 23-Oct-11 08:14:14
What is IPOAT?

And someone replied Idiots Posting On A Thread

Well, eons ago, I crashed onto a chat thread where the people were having the most daft, joking, messing, conversation that made NO sense at all grin and I killed it stone dead. So I started a thread to apologise and I called it Insane People On A Thread

In the 'utterly senseless' usage of the word 'insane'. referring to the fact I could make no sense of the conversation - but NOT meant in a bitchy way!!!

So from then on, they called themselves IPOAT.

I am sorry if using the word insane has upset you. I do not have any ignorant attitude about mental health problems. If you check through my posting history, you will find several times I talk about my stays in a mental health unit, the antipsychotics I have been on (trifluoperazine) the suicide attempts I have made and, well, I could go on and on. Feel free to look. I am not ashamed in any way of it. In the same way that you can break a leg, sprain an ankle, get a kidney infection... the brain or the mind can be ill.

jomal Mon 24-Oct-11 15:02:02

Anyone had any success with The Linden Method ? I've recently discovered it and had great success with my daughter .Interestingly one of their 'pillars' to recovery is to stop researching your condition and seeking out people on forums

NanaNina Mon 24-Oct-11 20:24:30

Sorry Hecate - I wasn't being that serious and knew I was being oversensitive, and no it didn't upset me. I know that you don't have an "ignorant attitude" about MH problems, so don't need to check through your posting history. Sorry again as it sounds like I've upset you........and I didn't mean to.......Take care and apologies again.

No, no no you haven't upset me. I am worried that I have upset you and am at pains to reassure you that I was not taking the piss and am not ignorant and that I know what it is like to deal with having mhp. And the attitudes of others.

Do you know it has been over 20 years since I last tried to kill myself and I saw my file on the dr's computer screen (nearly broke my neck to peer round grin) and in big letters it screams TOOK AN OVERDOSE

If I'd broken my leg 20 years ago it wouldn't be mentioned. Have a problem with your mind and you're damned forever sad

I just didn't want you to think I was somehow - mocking?

marykat2004 Mon 24-Oct-11 23:06:46

It's interesting to see you all replying. I have been away from the computer a few days.... feeling better perhaps? It is nice to go on forums for little things but sometimes I find myself really wound up about something stupid and I post on here and then feel worse. I guess I am not alone... and that's a good thing.

I like the one that says stop researching online... the worst thing to do with any ailment is too look online. Only the people who are struggling go on forums. For example, for a foot operation. The people who's operations went well are out living their lives. So you get this kind of skewed perspective that everyone who has this operation has a bad time. I know that's not exactly the same as mental health, or the same at all, but people feeling low might be more likely to be online...

Arcadia Tue 25-Oct-11 08:38:38

But on the other hand, in support of researching online, finding other mums on here with postnatal insomnia really helped me to cope as in RL I didn't know anyone with the same problem and I got really useful advice, and we still have our insomnia thread nearly two years on. It definitely helped.

fiddlydee Tue 25-Oct-11 11:45:35

Hi All

Yes! I certainly go online more looking at forums and help sites when I am down. I do sometimes wonder if it makes me worse, I just spend too much time thinking about depression. But, it is a really great help just to know you are not the only one. Those random threads of: does anyone else get this odd side-effect? Or: does anyone else go online more when they are down? Can result in at least knowing that you are normal in the world of those with mental health issues! Also, the views of friends who don't understand depression can be very skewed. If I said to people that I had been on ADs for two years, most would try to persuade me to come off. The people on this forum understand and say: don't be so hard on yourself, if they make life work, stick with it.

Thanks to all out there for your support, especially those who I know look through for any threads with no replies to make sure everyone at least feels that someone cares.

xx

marykat2004 Tue 25-Oct-11 23:30:51

Very good points, both the last 2 posts. And this thread in fact has cheered me up, so perhaps this is the topic I should be in, rather than throwing myself to the lions on the other topics. I only just found this topic fairly recently, and read someone's post that really resonated, though I didn't reply to it, i followed with interest because I could really see where the person was coming from. And she got a lot of good advice, and people genuinely trying to help.

So there can be good to come from looking for people in similar circumstances..

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now