Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

what factors would encourage post natal mums to take up counselling?

(17 Posts)
katelouise3 Sun 16-Oct-11 20:53:34

Hi ladies, I wonder if any of you can help me with my college project? I have chosen to investigate the factors that would encourage new mums to enter into counselling before their baby reaches his or her first birthday. If you have a few minutes I would appreciate your thoughts...'m leaving it quite open to see how the question is understood (there is no right or wrong answer) TVM in advance.

nailak Sun 16-Oct-11 20:57:11

if your health visitor had more time to talk to you when you visit so you could have time, alone with her, rather thenin a public space with other people around, to tell her that you were struggling and your gp did more then send you to health visitor.

KenDoddsDadsDog Sun 16-Oct-11 20:59:25

My HV was great. I ended up in counselling because of peer and media pressure to do things right. I was neurotic and isolated.

TethHearseEnd Sun 16-Oct-11 21:04:40

Access to it may be all that's required. Many women with PND are directed towards CBT in the first instance, which seems like counselling but is very different (was completely unsuitable for me). For many women, post-natal counselling is their first experience of any counselling at all, and runs the risk of putting them off for life if it does not adequately meet their needs.

I also think it would help if counselling services could be represented at first baby groups/NCT etc, to remind all of their availability (in my ideal world whereby counselling is available), and remove any stigma attached. Reminding women it's ok not to cope is definitely needed.

So:

Better assessment by HV, not one-size-fits-all.
Easier access to counselling (shorter waiting lists)
Greater presence of counselling services

FearTricksPotter Sun 16-Oct-11 21:13:30

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

HeadlessLamAAARRRGHHHH Sun 16-Oct-11 21:14:20

I asked XW day after day if she was ok and finally begged her to go to our GP where PND was diagnosed. She was prescribed ADs which she took for about 6 months, but came off them as they made her feel "woolly". All the while I asked how she was and listened to her talk. I like to think I was of some help. I hope I was. Someone to talk at is a skill I have. smile

cat64 Sun 16-Oct-11 21:32:30

Message withdrawn

reallytired Mon 17-Oct-11 13:12:01

I think that access to support /councelling is a bit of a post code lottery and also it down to having the secret information of what is available in your area.

In some parts of the country health visitors still do listening visits. In other parts of the country health visitors only do child protection. Its really unfair. I think it would be good for mothers to know what is available in their area. For example the charity Mind offers some services and people pay what they can reasonable afford. Lack of creche facilites is often a problem.

Lottieloulou Mon 17-Oct-11 18:19:35

Tortington Mon 17-Oct-11 18:23:52

don't term it counselling, just like some parenting classes aren't termed parenting classes

i mean no one wants to admit failure - 'im going to counselling cos i cant cope' is a shit sign to hang round your already much weighed down neck.

so call it something else, introduce other things, i dunno health aspect, social aspects - and also include a mental health aspect.

i think if mumsnet had existed so i could actually see that this perfect mum bollocks - is well....bollocks, it would have done a lot of good

so i think the tone of the sessions needs to be set right, and this is very much set y the course leader. to say, "look we arent perfect, this is a group to learn things and support each other, having a baby can be a bit shit can't it!"

Tortington Mon 17-Oct-11 18:25:05

oh yes and out of pocket expenses is a must, if your funding allows, a taxzi option - i mean getting on a bus with a pram and a baby is just effort

Booooooyhoo Mon 17-Oct-11 18:26:56

just based on my personal situation

if i had someone to look after my dcs without anyone in my family or anyone i knew finding out i was going for it.

reallytired Mon 17-Oct-11 18:55:24

I have been doing a health and welbeing course at my local children centre. It has been an excellent course and it had a creche. The course consisted of various workshops on "Stress and Relaxation", "Work life Balance" and tomorrow there is a session on "child health".

The sad thing is that only four or five people have attended. The course was poorly advertised and the time clashed with other provision in the area. For example there is postnatal depression group run by the health visitors on same morning.

There needs to be coordination with other providers in the area.

JeanBodel Mon 17-Oct-11 18:56:43

If it was free, I think the take-up would be huge.

catsareevil Mon 17-Oct-11 19:00:37

I'm aware that you have said that you are deliberately leaving it open, but counselling could mean so many different things. Do you mean supportive counselling? psychological therapy? Parenting advice?
Mums with PND? at risk of PND? or any mother?

Sunflowergirl2011 Mon 17-Oct-11 22:10:43

For me, being offered it! I had (have?) PND after dd2 was born. My GP picked up on it pretty quickly so didn't go back. 6 months later, My DH persuaded me to get help and my new GP was also great. But all they have time to do is offer you ADs. I am still on them and dreading coming off then, but no idea how to acess counselling/ or even if you can. And second what others have said about HVs actualy being able to spend any time with you one to one to ask how you are doing. ( and actualy seem to care what the answer is)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now