Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

I am so tired and stressed but I am not depressed!

(7 Posts)
Ormirian Mon 10-Oct-11 17:59:49

I need a break. From work mainly. It's been utter shit recently - endless stress, long hours. DH has hurt his leg so is being even less use than normal round the house. I just spent virtually the entire weekend doing housework and now back to work with more of the same. I am not sleeping well. I have a bad back.

Basically I am at the end of my rope. I want the GP to sign me off for a week - preferably when the DC are at school so I can simply recharge a bit. Problem I came off my ads a few months back and am doing really well mood wise. But last time I went to see her for some blood tests to see why I was so tired she was only interested in whether I needed to go back on the citalopram. But I am NOT DEPRESSED! I know I am not. I am simply tired and atm I am reacting to a stressful situation in a perfectly healthy way IMO.

Is there any chance of her signing me off for a while? I think I know the answer but I don't know what to do anymore.

fedupandtired Mon 10-Oct-11 18:19:05

If all you want is a week off then you don't need to see your GP as you can self-certificate for up to seven days.

Ormirian Mon 10-Oct-11 18:39:17

But self-certificate for what though?

That is the problem. I can't say I am 'ill' I am just worn out and feel really rough.

BTW your name suggests I am not the only one.

madmouse Mon 10-Oct-11 18:43:39

stress - just self certify as stress.

fedupandtired Mon 10-Oct-11 19:14:57

As madmouse says - stress. Or lie and say you've got flu or something. I'd be more tempted to lie to be honest 'cause then you don't need to divulge too much info to your employers.

I have been extremely fed up and tired but am currently doing okay smile

Emmac50 Mon 10-Oct-11 19:54:16

Hi

I've been in your situation before last year to be exact. I would suggest not lying only because no doubt you won't feel better next week and may have to be signed off for longer. Whatever you do relax and don't rush back. They won't thank you for it and would far prefer you to be healthy.

Hope you feel better

Em x

Ormirian Tue 11-Oct-11 13:18:18

Thankyou everyone.

It would really let people down if I took time off now. Our manager is on long-term sick leave (6m so far) due to ..surprise, surprise..stress. We have no replacement and we are in the middle of the major project which is currently trying to go tits up. So i don't feel I can just ring and say 'I'm too stressed to come to work' - I just thought a GP would give some validity to my 'illness'. But I guess I will have to hang on in there... at least for a few weeks. It comes to something when you want to be ill to get a break hmm

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now