Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Is psychiatric care optional?

(5 Posts)
chickenchops Mon 10-Oct-11 11:59:24

Just a quick question really... I am dealing with PND and PTSD from the birth of baby DS. I asked my GP if i could have some sort of talking therapy and was referred to a psychiatrist and a mental health nurse. They are both very kind and speaking to them has been/is tremendously helpful towards my recovery.
I just sometimes wonder if I decided that I'm ok now could I just say thank you very much and walk away? Or does it not work like that with mental health? Do you know what I mean?
I am not planning too, but would feel happier knowing that the ball is my court so to speak.
Hope this makes sense
X

fedupandtired Mon 10-Oct-11 12:30:11

Of course you don't have to see them if you don't want to.

madmouse Mon 10-Oct-11 13:15:49

Yes, you can walk away when you feel well again. The only time when it's not optional is when you've been sectioned for being a danger to yourself or others.

notnowbernard Mon 10-Oct-11 13:16:47

No, you don't have to see them if you don't want to

chickenchops Mon 10-Oct-11 17:24:50

Thanks ladies!

X

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now