Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

I think I have an eating disorder

(4 Posts)
iMemoo Sun 09-Oct-11 22:45:08

Tbh it's a new one on me. Mentally I'm not doing too bad but I haven't eaten properly for months and months

Now all I can eat is special k, apples and bananas.

This is all I've eaten for tbe past 6 weeks.

I tried to eat a proper meal yesterday and I spent the next few hours on the toilet, my stomach really didn't like it.

And tbh I don't want to eat anything really. Want to waste away.

TeacupTempest Mon 10-Oct-11 10:45:16

"want to waste away" - yes, I think you do have an eating disorder and I think you knew that already didn't you? Is there anyone you can talk to about this? Eating disorders can be so lonely and crippling. Maybe check out the b-eat.co.uk website for some support and advice...

charlotteUK Wed 12-Oct-11 14:34:14

iMemoo

I would strongly urge an appointment with your GP. The diagnostic criteria for anorexia are:

A. Refusal to maintain body weight at or above a minimally normal weight for age and height (e.g., weight loss leading to maintenance of body weight less than 85% of that expected; or failure to make expected weight gain during period of growth, leading to body weight less than 85% of that expected).

B. Intense fear of gaining weight or becoming fat, even though underweight.

C. Disturbance in the way in which one's body weight or shape is experienced, undue influence of body shape on self-evaluation, or denial of the seriousness of the current low body weight.

D. In postmenarcheal females, amenorrhea, i.e., the absence of at least three consecutive menstrual cycles.

Are you counting calories, constantly weighing yourself, over exercising, checking your body in the mirror? If you are not, perhaps your body is starving but unable to take proper food. There is a very good restoring regular eating plan here http://www.iop.kcl.ac.uk/sites/edu/downloads/HP/RESTORING%20REGULAR%20AND%20HEALTHY%20EATING.pdf. Following this will help restore your bodily systems to normal functions.

I am so sorry.

Lylah Wed 12-Oct-11 14:52:59

"Mentally I'm not doing too bad" and "Want to waste away" are something of a contradiction, to say the least!

The fact that you tried to eat a proper meal is promising but you really need to go and see your GP. This doesn't sound like the sort of thing that will just go away on its own and it's going to be very hard for you to start eating healthily without some help. The GP should be able to refer you to a local eating disorder unit, counselling service, nutrionist or similar.

The key thing is to be as honest as you can but bear in mind that you may not be thinking clearly if your BMI has already dropped too far... Good luck and I hope you make the appointment as soon as possible.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now