Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Feeling very low....

(12 Posts)
Rogers1 Tue 04-Oct-11 10:38:12

A few months a go I came off a very high dose of synthetic hormones to help with DUB. Since then I have taken alternative medicines which have although helped...my hormones are still up in the air sometimes. My DS is 15 months & has been waking a lot the last few nights so I'm exhausted! my first thought... 'how am I going to get through today'?

NanaNina Tue 04-Oct-11 15:28:56

Sorry Rogers I don't know what DUB is?

Rogers1 Tue 04-Oct-11 15:37:13

Dysfunctional uterine bleeding

Chocattack Tue 04-Oct-11 21:26:51

Sorry I don't understand. Are you saying you have a hormonal imbalance?

divedaisy Tue 04-Oct-11 21:35:18

is the problem your ds waking so much in the night or are you exhausted because of your condition?
if you are so tired sleep when ds takes a nap if you can...
are you feeling 'how am I going to get through today' due to depression?
I'd speak to my gp about things.
take care of yourself Rogers1 xx

Rogers1 Wed 05-Oct-11 08:30:04

I've just been diagnosed with b12 deficiency- linked to DUB. I think it all contributes to me feeling like I do.
I'm not depressed..I have low moods but who doesn't. I just feel guilt for being so ill in my son's first year. It's so draining to feel like this.

divedaisy Wed 05-Oct-11 16:26:24

you cannot help being ill so don't blame yourself. you may have a mild depression - you've been ill for so long it can be common. maybe you need to speak to your gp - low moods and feeling guilty and emotional draining may be symptoms of depression and a course of ADs may help... does your gp know how you feel??
Keep talking here.
Can/are you taking a B12 supplement?? Is it helping? Do you work during the day/are you able to nap with ds??
my daughter eventually started sleeping through the night when she turned 2 and that helped immensley.

Rogers1 Wed 05-Oct-11 17:33:15

Thank u divedaisy for your response. I am currently on a b12 supplement & alternative medicines for the DUB. My doctor is semi-aware of how hard things have been on me emotionally. I think you might be right...never really believed that being ill for so long may have triggered depression. But I will definitely speak to my HV. I feel I can really be honest here about how emotionally & physically hard things have been- without being judged. I appreciate all the responses. I do feel better today...although DS didn't sleep any better due to tummy ache.

ThatsNotYours Wed 05-Oct-11 20:50:00

Do you have an inability to absorb B12 physically or just need a supplement because yours is too low?

My dad can't absorb B12 'normally' so needs to have it physically injectected every few months. He describes it as 'rocket fuel' for the body.

Lack of B12 is not good for anyone's mental health. There used to be a test the doc could run to see if you can't absorb through normal ingestion (food / supplements).

Suggest you discuss further with GP before you go down the AD route. X

Rogers1 Wed 05-Oct-11 21:15:08

Thank u thatsnotyours~ they have said I need 3 months of trying to absorb b12 through supplements & be tested again to see if that has worked. If not...injections.
The doctor just kind of said 'it's all linked...take care& see u in 3 months'. I tried speaking to a counsellor about how being ill for so long had left me feeling...but they said I would need to travel by bus each week & find childcare for my DS...at this stage a 2 hour bus journey on top of no childcare is leaving that option impossible- no local help available. I have found MN my therapy & the responses I have read not only for myself but to others have helped.

divedaisy Fri 07-Oct-11 14:19:43

Rogers1 it makes me so MAD when counsellors insist on seeing you with out your kids - they just assume childcare is possible, rather than realising it's adding pressure onto already stressed and depressed people. I often wonder are they trying to really put us over the edge. I turned up at my CPN new office few months ago with my 2yr old dd, and despite getting myself to the appt and psyching myself up for it, I felt told off for bringing her with me. The appt was cancelled - and I really needed to speak to her, but didn't have the emotional energy to argue with her.
If I were you I'd keep going back to see my GP - whether they said 'see you in 3 months'. If things are really gettin on top of you tell him/her that and keep chatting on here!!! You can chat away with your ds beside you and theres not a bus required - just a cuppa tea and some bickies!!! chocolate digestives preferrably! And someone is gemerally available at any time of the day or night.... ox

Rogers1 Fri 07-Oct-11 16:22:30

Thank u so much divedaisy....I will definitely be using MN more often...it's helped me so much already...u all have.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now