Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.


(4 Posts)
Witherhills Mon 03-Oct-11 17:35:46

I have a knot in my chest, its not physical, and not affecting my breathing.
Had a huge blow up with DH over the weekend, which is just part of a very long bad patch
I think emotionally I'm in a really bad way
i think this has gradually been getting worse
I constantly have a headache
I am constantly tired
I can't seem to get anything done, and everything feels like such a hassle

I just want to to to bed and stay there
I really don't think it's depression, as I think it's all caused by my wanker of a husband, so very temporary

I have GP appt on Wed, but really don't know what she can do.

Don't even know what I'm asking! If anyone has any experience, please share

I feel like I cannot calm down
I'm so emotional

I am also trying to find a counsellor

Witherhills Mon 03-Oct-11 17:40:21

And if anyone has any ideas of any OTC medication?
i have rescue remedy,but not sure it's strong enough!

NanaNina Mon 03-Oct-11 18:00:13

I am wondering why you don't think you are depressed witherhills - you certainly sound like you are, and even if it is caused by your "wanker of a husband" it can still be depression. I think the important line in your post is " I just want to go to bed and stay there" and that is exactly what we want to do when depression strikes - withdraw under the duvet - shut the world out. It sounds like you have anxiety too, which is unsurprising because anxiety and depression usually go hand in hand.

All you need to do with your GP on Wed is to tell her what you have told us in your post. You can say you have some marital problems that might be the cause, but that doesn't mean that you don't need help. She may prescribe you a low dose of ADs (which treat anxiety too) and I have to say that ADs have helped me enormously. 1 in 4 people will experience depression at some point in their lives, ranging from mild to moderate to severe. You won't be teling your GP anythng she hasn 't heard dozens of times before.

When you are feeling a bit better you can maybe deal with the "wanker husband" like a divorce - but first you need to get some help and support for yourself. She may refer you for counselling on the NHS but there is usually a waiting list.

If you can afford it there are private therapists/counsellors that you can see almost straight away - they usually charge £40 - £55 per hour.`

Witherhills Mon 03-Oct-11 20:06:06

Thanks Nina
I feel like I just need a rest, just to switch off. Just to stop worrying and stressing
The duvet scenario is just something that doesn't up mind because I physically want to hide in my bedroom right now to get away from my mil

It's more of a aarrgghh! frustration, than feeling down, that's why I think it's not proper depression

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: