Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

ADHD Symptoms

(3 Posts)
pdb Fri 30-Sep-11 11:37:35

Hubby has been telling me for the past 5 years son has adhd (he's nearly 11). I looked up the sympotoms on net doctor today and was able to agree with majority of symptoms. So ok i'm considering taking son to g.p to discuss the possibility. But then I look at adult symptoms on net doctor and managed to 'self diagnose' myself as also suffering with adhd.??

Really is this plausible or do most people who look at the symptoms come to the same result?

Ive always had the opinion that you look up an illness on google and you are either dying or nothing wrong with you for the same symptoms.

Im curious if most people would be able to answer yes to the same symptoms.

I feel a bit daft going to the doctors about this.

pdb Fri 30-Sep-11 11:47:31

My answers;

What are the symptoms of adult ADHD?

Adults can experience ADHD in different ways, but some of the common symptoms include:

concentration problems YES
forgetfulness and poor short-term memory YES
lack of organisation YES
problems with creating and maintaining routines YES
lack of self-discipline YES
impulsive behaviour YES
depression YES (NOT AT THE MOMENT)
low self-esteem YES
restless mind YES YES YES
restlessness NO
poor time management YES
impatience and frustration YES
poor social skills and making inappropriate remarks YES
feelings of underachievement. YES

madmouse Fri 30-Sep-11 13:32:44

Regardless of what symptoms you have, the main question is does it markedly impair your ability to live your life. If it does, you may want to consider seeking a diagnosis.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now