Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

How does depression impact children?

(10 Posts)
mulranno Mon 26-Sep-11 14:45:48

What is the official line on the impact of depression on children? What has it been like for you if you were the child of a depressed parent? How do you see your depression impacting on your children? What can I do to minimise the impact?

cestlavielife Mon 26-Sep-11 15:59:25

there is a good chapter in anne sheffield -
www.amazon.co.uk/How-Survive-When-Theyre-Depressed/dp/0609804154/ref=pd_bxgy_b_img_b
How You Can Survive When They're Depressed : Living and Coping with Depression Fallout [Paperback]
Anne Sheffield

to sum up and paraphrase:
plenty of time spent away from the depressed person, with non-depressed happy people, can mitigate the long term effects for children

bruffin Mon 26-Sep-11 16:23:22

I don't have depression, but dh has all his life on and off. DC's are teenagers now and DH has just gone through a bad patch to do with mid life crisis etc. I think it has made them extremely understanding and caring children.DH has made it up to them and they do get to go to a lot of gigs and he runs thems around everywhere to parties etc just makes sure they have a lot to enjoy in life.

mulranno Mon 26-Sep-11 16:53:17

bruffin....have you been open and honest with the children and told them what is going on? I have not done this -only my husband and sisters "know" that I experience depression

bruffin Mon 26-Sep-11 17:04:46

Yes, not so much when they were younger just daddy was tired or not feeling well, but this last year they have known everything because it did affect them a lot. I don't think I regret involving them because it really has been all consuming. Thankfully we seem to be coming through the worst of it and I am getting DH back, but it is their understanding that has helped so much. I have felt guilty a bit as it almost seemed they were responsible for his mood sometimes, which is a lot to lay on a teenagers shoulders. But I do think it has made them more thoughtful of other people.

mulranno Tue 27-Sep-11 13:00:46

I am wondering whether I should share it with my oldest (13) as I think that he has my tendencies as well - and I think that he has borne the brunt of my episodes

bruffin Tue 27-Sep-11 13:28:50

My DD has only turned 14 last week, so was the same age and my DS only just turned 16. I don't know your children, but I do think there is so much secrecy around mh issues and it can't be good.

mulranno Tue 27-Sep-11 14:07:06

Might have a look at some of the MH charity websites to see if they have any advice or resources about "coming out" to children

cestlavielife Tue 27-Sep-11 19:46:15

there is a good book canadian but good - good starting point for discussing with your dc anyway for age 9 up i would say

www.imo.org/About/Events/WorldMaritimeDay/Pages/2010.aspx

Can I Catch It Like a Cold?: Coping with a Parent's Depression [Hardcover]
Centre for Addiction and Mental Health, Joe Weissmann

cestlavielife Tue 27-Sep-11 19:46:50

sorri wrong link!!
www.amazon.co.uk/Can-Catch-Like-Cold-Depression/dp/088776956X

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now