Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

pure o

(9 Posts)
bettybets Sun 25-Sep-11 20:16:51

Does any one here have pure o? Do you take medication for it?

I have pure o, and through different times of my life i have it in certain bouts, i have it at the moment about biting my finger?!!!

I do keep control of it myself but i am intrested to hear from anyone who has it and any advice. Thanks

NanaNina Sun 25-Sep-11 23:42:18

Sorry I don't know what a pure o is?

Dawndonna Mon 26-Sep-11 09:13:11

Yes. Am trying counselling. Let's hope!
I go through phases according to what's going on in my life.
I've tried medication and it was really helpful in the old days, but they no longer prescribe tricyclics and I don't get on with SSRIs.
It's horrid and all I can say is I hope things improve for you.
Try to take a look at what's going on in your life, try to say No to some things, not easy, but being overloaded, physically and emotionally does not help.

WhoopsieDaisie Mon 26-Sep-11 17:32:30

I have it too. It is absolutely shit. Mine has always been about hurting somebody, from running a stranger over accidentally to the more extreme, losing control and turning into a mad person and killing my children (never my husband hmm. I found that Prozac made the obsessions much, much worse and will not try any others.

I have had CBT which has helped in reassuring me that I am not a nutter and am a totally normal, if highly sensitive, person. As you know people without this affliction can just shrug off the weird thoughts that we ALL have, we fear them and that is why they come back.

I have more or less got it under control now in that I don't feel terrified if a 'bizarre' thought pops into my head. I think 'it's not me, it's my OCD' or something. I have the Jeffrey Schwartz book 'Brainlock' which is a major help.

NanaNina Mon 26-Sep-11 22:11:46

Would still like to know what pure o is? Is it related to OCD - maybe just the obsessional part of OCD.

Dawndonna - you say GPs no longer prescribe tryclics - they do and I am on a tryclic (impiramine) They certainly prefer the SSRIs (citalopram seems to be the drug of choice these days) One of the reasons they don't like prescribing tryclics is because they can be fatal in overdose and they are thought to have more side effects, but as we know, what drug suits one person doosn't suit another - same with side effects.

My GP wanted me to take an SSRI but I wanted imipramine as they had worked well in the past and so she prescribed them.

lazymumofteenagesons Mon 26-Sep-11 22:54:20

I think pure O is just the obsessive thoughts part of OCD without the compulsions. Although compulsions don't need to be physical, they can be going on in your head so noone realises.

NanaNina Tue 27-Sep-11 17:11:58

Thanks lazymum - or should it be hardworking mum of lazy teenage sons! But if you can be lazy then great - I think lazy is good!

ImpYCelyn Tue 27-Sep-11 17:23:06

Well they're not sure if I have Pure O, or OCD with mainly O and very little C, but anyway...

I had CBT just after DS was born as it was really bad, it had been building up for some time, but with DS it just became really apparent to me and DH that something needed to change. The GP referred me and the CBT really helped, although it was only a short course to address one particular issue. Although I've been able to apply it to other things since then.

I'm about to start again, more broadly this time.

I don't take medication. I would say now that I don't need it, but when I was really bad after DS was born I would probably have said yes if it had been offered. I'm glad now that I just had CBT though, it was brilliant. I agree with WhoopsieDaisy, a massive relief was in finding out that I'm not insane and not alone.

pdb Fri 30-Sep-11 11:54:54

Yes got pure o, it drives me mad but since I sorted my life out its minimised and I managed to cope. I dont take any meds for it, I refused.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now