Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

citalopram side effects

(14 Posts)
ImNotAnsweringIt Fri 23-Sep-11 11:21:57

I have been diagnosed with mild pnd, I think as a result of severe sleep deprivation (12 week old sleep refusnik).

I took my first 10mg tablet yesterday and have felt so anxious, sick, paniky and tearful since that DH has taken the day of work to help me. Is this normal side effects or am I heading for another 'episode'? I used to suffer years ago and this is terrifying me. I didn't feel this bad before, just exhausted. I am wishing I had never seen GP/HV now. Anyone able to reassure me this will pass and to plough on with the tablets? Thanks so much, got to go pick up DS1 from pre-school but back later

morrisseysquornmince Fri 23-Sep-11 18:21:08

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

orangeflutie Fri 23-Sep-11 21:45:22

Increased anxiety is a common side effect when you first start taking citalapram. It normally wears off but can be quite unpleasant at the beginning. All ADs have different side effects but things should improve over the next couple of weeks.

Try and get as much rest as possible (not easy with a new baby I know), and tell your GP or HV if you have any new worries.

ImNotAnsweringIt Sat 24-Sep-11 14:06:03

Thanks both. I am feeling a little better this afternoon and ds1 is off to pils tonight so just baby to look after; hopefully I'll feel even better tomorrow. I guess the gps don't specifically warn of side effects for a good reason but it really frightened me until I realised why I was feeling like I was. Good luck to you both too, mental health problems are so hard when you have children. This is my first 'episode' since having ds1 and it is so scary to think I can't look after him as I want to.

hiddenhome Sat 24-Sep-11 22:13:49

Please persevere with the Citalopram. The side effects do wear off. I've been on them since last November and they've helped me completely turn my life around.

Good luck smile

hiddenhome Sat 24-Sep-11 22:15:09

Oh, yeah, and if you're feeling tired with taking the tablet each morning, just switch it to bedtime. I was having problem with tiredness, but that totally went once I started taking it last thing at night.

ImNotAnsweringIt Tue 27-Sep-11 10:44:38

I am still suffering intolerable anxiety about 4 hours after taking a tablet. Can I take 1/2? Tried taking it before bed last night and got woken up with dreadful panics,trembling and nausea. Can't take it anymore with 2 children to look after.

ImNotAnsweringIt Tue 27-Sep-11 10:45:29

I am still suffering intolerable anxiety about 4 hours after taking a tablet. Can I take 1/2? Tried taking it before bed last night and got woken up with dreadful panics,trembling and nausea. Can't take it anymore with 2 children to look after.

orangeflutie Wed 28-Sep-11 14:14:09

10mg is a low dose anyway so don't know if a good idea to halve your tablet.

If you're really struggling with the side effects, it might be best to see your doctor and discuss things. There are lots of other ADs out there that may suit you better.

FWIW I took citalopram for 6 weeks. It greatly reduced my appetite and I lost quite a bit of weight as I couldn't face food. I've been on dosulepin ever since and it works really well. Always worth talking things over.

IwoulddoPachacuti Wed 28-Sep-11 14:16:57

I had to come off citalopram a couple of years ago as I suffered horrendous anxiety and panic attacks whilst on it. I was afraid to leave the house!

I switched fluoxetine and haven't looked back. It would maybe be better to make an appointment with your doctor to discuss your options

Hope you feel better soon, I know how horrendous it is sad

hells1908 Wed 28-Sep-11 14:22:17

I am not a doctor, so...but Citalopram takes a while for its positive effects (which are great) to kick in. In the meantime, you can still feel anxious and it might actually exacerbate it. When I was on it the GP also gave me Propranalol which is an anti anxiety thing to take as and when, and to cope with the short term before Citalopram could take over.

So worth talking to them again? As orangeflutie says, there are also alternatives, as people can react differently to different things (eg I went utterly BONKERS on Lorazepam and couldn't even walk straight).

ImNotAnsweringIt Thu 29-Sep-11 09:47:11

Thanks all. Had a chat with duty doctor who just said "I'd stop taking it then, if it was me" great thanks. So I did just stop and luckily am feeling better. Too nervous to try anything else though so will just go it alone now. Doctors dont seem terribly helpful and hv hasn't been in touch since diagnosing pnd 10 days ago.

hells1908 Thu 29-Sep-11 11:57:34

Absolutely no need to go it alone. PND is a chemical imbalance; chemicals help restore your sanity. You just need help finding the right one.

Stamp your Mummy feet. If that means sitting crying in the waiting room and embarrassing the staff, so be it. Make an appointment. Now.

orangeflutie Thu 29-Sep-11 19:28:29

That doesn't sound goodsad

Be careful not to let yourself sink too much. Maybe give yourself a week and if you're still feeling low, make an appointment. I know it's hard when you've had a bad reaction to your meds, but there will be someone who can help.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now