Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Is anyone trying to 'manage' depression without ADs?

(3 Posts)
globex Fri 16-Sep-11 09:01:48

I'm just about to wean myself off sertraline, and after about 15 years on and off AD use I'm going to give depression management a proper try. I was wondering if anyone else was doing it and how it was working?

NanaNina Fri 16-Sep-11 15:46:19

Well globex I was on an old fashioned tryclic (imiprame) after my very first episode of major depression after the untimely death of my dearest friend in 1994. I was in hospital for 3 months and made a complete recovery. I was on the meds for 15 years - I did try to come off them but everytime I had awful withdrawal symptoms (which the GPs were telling me was a return of the depression) - which at the time I believed and went straight back on the dose. In 2009 I decided that with the help of a psychologist who had an expertise in helping people come off meds, that I would try again - I was on 100mg - I reduced 10mg each month and it took 10 months and I was off them. However 4 months later I suffered a 2nd major episode of depression last Easter and was again hospitalised for 3 months, but this time I am still struggling and am mostly well, but suffer really horrible "blips" that come without any trigger and last anything between 2 and 15 days.

SO I will stay on the meds for the rest of my life because I truly believe (as does the conslt psychiatrist and my CPN ) that had I not come off them I would have not suffered a further episode.

However I see on the MH thread that many people do come off them and seem to do ok.

ThatsNotYours Fri 16-Sep-11 23:59:40

I have always felt that somehow if I am no longer taking ADs that 'makes me normal' then! Great, no meds.
I know myself now, and actually, I know that I will probably be taking ADs for the indefinite future. 
I have a wonderful; 20m old son, DH and a job I enjoy. Not sure I would be able to enjoy, see the funny side, and have a wee appropriate rant without the ADs. I have decided that I would rather 'stay on', even if so doing means I 'still have' MH issues.
Wishing you all the best, x.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now